HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scout style setup?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scout style setup?

ORIGINAL: wjyarkiell

Personally i love having a scout scope on a rifle. I have a ruger frontier rifle and i have a burris 2x7 handgun posi-lock scope on it. I love how it handles. when sighting in a new load i will use the 7 magnification but when im hunting with it i will usually carry it on a 2.75 or 3 power. According to Colonel Cooper, he says a shooter doesnt need anything more than a 3 power on a scout scope. I love the scout setup. to me the advantages outweigh any disadvantage.
Its funny how different people's opinions can be about the same thing I had the same ruger and scope combo a couple years back and hated it! I found the handgun scope aggravating. Its supposed to give you faster target acquisition, but I found it harder to get the sight picture lined up in the scope right, it was like looking through a 1" copper pipe that was 12"s from my face, sorta like tunnel vision. Got very low velocity too from the 16" barrel and the report was deafening. The only thing I liked was that the short barrel was handy in the thick stuff but still felt front heavy to me. This year I got a remington 700 mtlss w/ a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 ,and it carrys like a dream at about 7lbs, with the scope mounted. The barell is a full 22" but w/ the short action ,it was still pretty handy in the brush and the scope is awsome! The rifle and sight picture come to my shoulder and eye almost simultaniously. I walked alot up and down some pretty rough terrain this season and I hardly noticed I was carring the rifle. I LOVE IT!!! I just wish I could have got a deer w/ it. In short, I am personally not a fan of the "scout rifle" but to each his own.