Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New England Handi rifle >

New England Handi rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New England Handi rifle

Old 12-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Spike

Default New England Handi rifle

I have a New England Handi rifle in .280 Rem with a 26 inch barrel. I just cant get it dialed in. I had a cheaper scope on it, and the rounds were hitting all over the place. Put a Bushnell Elite 3200 on it, and still wont hold a tight group. Tried 150gr ballistic tips and 139gr SST Hornadys. First round hits about 2 inches right of center, second round hits about 2 inches left of center, third round hit about 2 inches right of second round, then fourth round hit over by the first round. Ive checked the scope, mount, and rings, and they are tight. Im thinking its just the rifle.... tried different scope and different ammo so I just dont know. Im no sniper, but I know I can shoot. This rifle should be shooting a lot better than 4 inch groups at 100 yards. While Im at it.... Im thinking of giving up with this rifle, and getting a Mossberg 100 ATR in either .243 or .270. Any comments on this rifle? I've heard nothing but good stuff about it. Im in SC, hunting whitetails at mostly 100-200 yards with an occasional 250-350 yard shot, and maybe some coyotes. Thanks. [email protected]
Old 12-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New England Handi rifle

Try a couple more types of ammo before you get a new rifle. It may be that your rifle likes a heavier grain bullet, look at some 150 gr and 160 gr ammo.

One more thing, did you just hand tighten your scope screws or did you use lock tight?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Go to the Greybeard.com forum and search down to the NEF Handi rifles. There are a bunch of guys on that forum that will help you out a bunch. Handi's are sort of their nich. Zeak
Old 12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

OOps I gave you the wrong web page. It should be Greybeardoutdoors.com
Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Spike

I appreciate the advice. Yep, used loktite. Already tried the 150s, might try some 175s. I know it doesnt like the 139s.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Spike

I checked out graybeards website. Good info there, thanks again. Well, it looks like the guys that have 1 MOA or better Handi rifles are having to work for it, and put some money into it. Will be cheaper to shelve it, and get the Mossberg 100 ATR. Now I just have to decide between the .243 and the .270. Like I said, most of my shots will be 100 to 200 yards with occasional over 300 yards on whitetails here in SC. Will also be shooting coyotes and beavers.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you result in having to get another rifle,check out the marlin xl7,it performs way out of proportion to it's price range of about 300$. Don't have any ideas about your handi rifle other than check how tight lockup/hinge pin is for excessive play.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:43 PM

Did you check the muzzle crown for any damage?
I personally don't like the cantlelever scope bases that those rifles use, the design doesn't lend it's self to great percision. Maybe you should lap your rings and still try another scope because 4"groups are pretty sad.
I would consider that rifle a challenge, a project for another day, but you may be right to get another gun for now if the season is upon you.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a handi rifle in 30-06 about 7 years ago, it felt very good in the hand and I liked the way it shouldered. The best I could get out of it was 5" groups at 100 yards and I put a little time and money into it and got it down to 3.5" groups. I liked shooting it, but didn't want to put any more money into it, so I traded it on an older Marlin 30-30. Now, I can shoot 3.5" groups even faster![8D]

I cut my loss and let the nephiews shoot the Marlin and I bought a Browning. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Mossberg makes a good product, I'd be surprized if it didn't shoot at least 1.5" groups all day long with the right ammo.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Spike

I appreciate all the tips and advice. Think Im going to put the handi rifle in the closet.I looked up the Marlin XL7, but it doesnt come in .243. I had been looking at the Mossberg 100ATR. Just checked out the Stevens. Looks pretty good. It lists a little cheaper than the Mossberg according the their websites, but I can get the Mossberg with black synthetic stock from local hardware store for $299. Can I hear from some Stevens shooters and some Mossberg shooters? Go ahead make your sales pitches!

Quick Reply: New England Handi rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.