Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 22 Rifle for Son! >

22 Rifle for Son!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22 Rifle for Son!

Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 22 Rifle for Son!

Hands down the Ruger 10/22 is the best rifle out there for the money and to use as a starter gun.
1. Reliability... They shoot and shoot and shoot..........etc.

2. Price. although they may be a few dollars more than a marlin 60 or mossberg plinkster. It is not a significant amount... yet the quality is!

3. weight. alot of beginners have trouble holding and steadying a rifle due to the length and it being a little barrel heavy. This is not an issue with the Ruger. It is light, short and compact, all the necessary ingredients for a great day of shooting for a beginner.

4. versatility. These guns have so many aftermarket parts and options.. you could never get tired of tinkering with it. So it will transition with your son as time goes by.

These are just my thoughts, there are plenty of nice .22's out there.. ultimately, it will be whatever your son feels the most comfortable with... God Bless Boxerkidd
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Spike

I would also recommend a Ruger 10/22 or the bolt sction version, the 77/22. They even make a short stock version fo the 10/22. I have had several of them and now have two custom built ones. All are real good shooters and your best price ususally is Dick's Sporting Goods, or a good used one. The latest version have a plastic trigger assembly, don't know how they are.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Savage .22 Bolt that is absolutely my favorite .22 I've had yet. It's really accurate out to 100 yards, never had any problems with it either.

Tobe
Old 12-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Fork Horn

the 17 hmr is pretty sweet.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Spike

I have a Marlin (Glenfield) Model 60 that is a good little gun. There seems to be a "Chevy vs. Ford" following between Marlin and Ruger. My Marlin is ammo sensitive; CCI Mini-Mags is the only thing that shoots reliably. Other Marlins feed everything/anything just fine. Mine is an older (1960s-70s) gun so maybe the newer ones feed better.

The Ruger does have a much better aftermarket following for pretty much everything (stocks, mags, triggers, barrels, etc.). The Marlin is pretty much as it comes out of the box (unless you are willing to do some home gunsmithing).

Check out this forum board; nothing but rimfire guys:

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
Old 12-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Another vote for the ruger 10/22. You can't beat it! I have no idea how much i have shot mine. It was bought when I was born, I'm about to turn 19. Ive been shooting it since I was four and I remember days when 500 rounds through it was not ucommon. the amazing thing is that i can still bust a squirrels head at 50 yards with it. I have lately been having some jamming trouble with it...but like I said I have shot literally several hundred thousand rounds through this gun. Ive had to replace the mag. three times. I clean it ALL the time and take good care of it. I love that little gun. I need to replace the stock on it now. it has hand marks worn into it. My dad, two uncles and my sister all have one as well. Easy decision for me.
-Jake
Old 12-11-2008, 04:14 PM

check out a marlin
Old 12-11-2008, 05:45 PM

I don't care what you buy for your son, just the fact that you are willing to spend time with him is what counts! I am in Law Enforcement and I deal with so many kids that their parents never spend quality time with them, so anytime I hear of someone taking time for their kids, it does my heart good. My son is 18 and right now that is one of the few things we have in common and I take every opportunity to take him to the range, notonly to instruct him, but to build on our relationship. Of course this also goes for daughters, wives and other family members that may enjoy shooting. Regrets are like harsh words that come out of our mouths, there is nothing we can do to make them go away. So spend as much time with your kids as you can.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

How old is he??? i got a cricket when i was younger the steped up to a h&r 410/22
Old 12-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a glenfield Marlin bolt that I got for my 11th birthday that always puts them in there. I am a big bolt fan, the 10-22 is the only auto to buy if you go that route.

Quick Reply: 22 Rifle for Son!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.