Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

speer ammo

Old 04-04-2003, 02:49 AM

Default speer ammo

anyone use the speer hot-core and grand slam from the federal line of ammo? is it a good round for deer? still looking for the right bullet in my BAR.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: speer ammo

i load 150grain magtip (which is a hotcor) for my 300savage, i like speer bullets. they always shoot good for me, and i think their as reliable as any other bullet out there
Old 04-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

My neighbour uses the grand slam out of his 280, I believe 160 or 165gr for all his biggame hunting. He absolutely swears by this bullet and that includes deer, elk, moose and bears. Personally I have used the grand slams in 130 grain out of my 270 win for mule deer and whitetails and they performed good.

Still I favor Ballistic Tip style bullets for deer and lopers.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:14 PM

Quilly,
I have been using Speer Nitrex in 180 gr. Grand Slam ammunition in a 300 win mag for the past couple of years now. They group excellent and are a very tough bullet. However, I won' t recommend them for deer. Two years ago I took a white-tailed buck in Saskatchewan with the Grand Slam. The exit hole was no bigger then the entrance hole. It was a double lung shot but the buck still managed to run 400 yards. Didn' t matter much as it was in a barley field, but it if would have been a problem in the bush with the smaller exit hole, making a difficult tracking job (the shot was just over 200 yards so the bullet wasn' t travelling all that fast). Now the good news. Last year I was able to take a bull elk. I intentional shot the bull in the front shoulder, as we were hunting up against a national park and didn' t want the bull to run off the legal land and make its way into the park. Anyways, the bullet smashed through both shoulders and what was left was lodged up against the skin on the far side. The bull went about 10 feet (shot was 150 yards). The bullet preformed prefectly. Thus I would only recommend the Grand Slam on tougher game like elk. As Skeeter mentioned, I have since changed to the Hornady SST for deer.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Typical Buck

Vince_Ryz is absolutely right. The Speer Grand Slam is an excellent elk bullet, but it may be a bit too tough for deer. Especially when fired from the minimum required for deer in this country, the .300 Ultra Mag.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:19 AM

thank you all for your help !

i am still lookinf into finding a bullet that works great out of my BAR. i am looking into these bullets. both are NOT on the premium line of fedeal so they should be rather cheap .
i will let you all know about how they come out when i pick some up this weekend. i am leaning twards the speeer grand-slam 150gr. for my 30-06sprg.