Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 308 Browning lever rifle >

308 Browning lever rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

308 Browning lever rifle

Old 11-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default 308 Browning lever rifle

Can anyone help me? I have a Browning lever action 308, have had this gun for 20 years, bought it brand new, from a clean cold barrel it shoots fine but after about 5 or 6 rounds It start to get flyers, after I clean the bore and let it cool down it shoots fine for a while and then more flyers, is there anything I can do about this?
Old 11-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 308 Browning lever rifle

How much time are you allowing between each shot?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Not really much time at all, maybe 30 seconds, do you think I should give it more time before shooting again
Old 11-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I assume you have a pre 81 BLR... easiest way to tell is the magazine is not flush with the bottom of the receiver.
I can believe the reasonably light barrel heats up after 5 shots. With mine I use 3 shot groups. I find that if I blow the firts shot and the deer is running I have a very small chance of connecting with a second shot. I have yet to get a chance to unload the rifle at one animal while hunting.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not really much time at all, maybe 30 seconds, do you think I should give it more time before shooting again
YEs, Many rifles, especially those with thin barrels, will heat up after only two or three shots and start stringing them out. Remember that as the barrel heats the steel begins to expand and get softer and this will absolutely change how the gun shoots. Also, the hotter the barrel is when you fire a shot the more that bullet and powder is eroding the barrel.

Shoot no more than three shots and let the barrel cool down for about five minutes or more. I like to shoot one shot, let cool for two or three minutess and shoot another shot, etc... etc... There should be no need to clean the barrel after only 6 shots. It is the heat that is most likely causing your problem.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sauer06

Can anyone help me? I have a Browning lever action 308, have had this gun for 20 years, bought it brand new, from a clean cold barrel it shoots fine but after about 5 or 6 rounds It start to get flyers, after I clean the bore and let it cool down it shoots fine for a while and then more flyers, is there anything I can do about this?
I suspect the bore is a bit on the rough side, causing metal fouling to build up as you shoot. A good lapping job by a qualified barrelsmith might resolve this issue. However, since the BLR is a hunting, rather than a target, rifle, I don't thik your problem is too severe.....maybe just polishing the bore well with J-B Compound would do the trick.

BUT, if the only problem is a too-hot barrel, then all you need do is wait several minutes between shots.....
Old 11-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I bought this rifle in 1988, and the clip is flush with the gun
Old 11-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Thx for the information, I will try this but on my other 2 rifles that are both bolt action and have longer barrels I do not seem to have this problem, are shorter barrels more likely to overheat and lose there accuracy?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds to me that your barrel is "walking" as it heats up. This is VERY common among factory barrels and especially on lighter barrels. You COULD cure this by sending it off to be stress relieved by cyrogenically freezing it. I've "cured" several barrelsby doingthis. Just don't fall for all the claims of vastly increased accuracy,being easier to clean,less fouling,etc. The ONLY thing I've been able to determine for SURE is it stops barrels from walking as they heat up(to reasonable degree). For a barrel to be easier to clean and produce less fouling,you'll need to have it lapped. If it was me,and since it only does that after several shots,I'd be content to leave it as is unless you have a particular reason to want to shoot it a lot fast,like when prarie dog town.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saurer06:

Shoot three rounds and let the rifle barrel cool with action open. You are overheating the barrel. Good luck.