Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm Remington Mag - QUESTION! >

7mm Remington Mag - QUESTION!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm Remington Mag - QUESTION!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Spike

Default RE: 7mm Remington Mag - QUESTION!

Your best bet with keeping the 7mag is a double lung to stay back from the meat. That or a head shot which I have heard vary mixed reviews on. Maybe try the reduced recoil, but really unless your needed to reach out there(like 300yrd+ shots consistently) why not do something in the .243 to .270 caliber range? personally if I didn't live in the never ending west I would be shooting iron sights and a lever gun most of the time.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7mm Remington Mag - QUESTION!

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

A bullet designed for heavier game will not expand at all at closer ranges in a 7 mag, resulting in worse than ruined meat, lost, dead animal!

While it could be that a bullet designed for heavier game will expand less on a deer, this effect is multiplied as the velocity drops (at longer ranges), NOT vice-versa. It is an old wives' tale that a bullet can be moving too fast to expand!

I suggest trying the 175-grain Nosler Partition. It will expand at very long range/low velocities, yet the rear holds together for maximum penetration.
Elde,
I'm not saying that they are going too fast to expand. You are right, a heavy bullet will not expand well at longer ranges.
However, my experience was not at long range. Both happened the same year, one deer was shot at about 50 yds. and the other at about 100 yds. The one at 50yds. made one or two jumps and was dead about 20 yds. away, no expansion. The 100 yarder did not bleed a drop and ran well over 100 yards, again no expansion!
I don't think the bullet speed had as much to do with this as using a bullet that was designed for heavier game than Whitetail deer!