Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 WM Meat Damage >

300 WM Meat Damage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 WM Meat Damage

Old 11-24-2008, 07:31 PM

Default RE: 300 WM Meat Damage

Ihave shot several deer with the 30WM. They have all been shot with Speer's 180gr. Grand Slam Bullet.I shoot such a tough bullet, because of the hogs that I shoot at close range and want my bullet to hold together on a 300lb hog at close range.The meat damage is more than I would like.I do believe the 300WM is more than you need for deer.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Figured I'd keep you guys in the loop on this one.

Last night I butchered the deer. It was terrible. For the first time ever I found part of my bullet. Actually two parts. They fell out and were on the ground so I don't know where the parts were located. So here is what I believe happened to the bullet. Upon entry the bullet split into 2-3 pieces. A large part went right up through the neck and destroyed the neck meat on the entry side. In addition the entry side front shoulder had some damage where it met the neck. Another large part of the bullet went right into the chest cavity and then through the guts and stopped on the underside of the hide right next to the flank steak.

I have two complete bullet pieces that show that the soft lead core became completely seperated from the copper jacket.

Would a Nosler Accubond hold together better?

Tom
Old 11-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I cannot speak for closer ranges for certain, but I shot a mule deer at 438 yds (down in 1 shot, added a second for insurance due to terrain so 2 shots total) and a bull elk at 683 yds (4 hits, he just stood and took it like nothing was happening) with the 200gr Accubond.

Damage to both animals was impressive even at extended ranges. The deer was absolutely hammered, I hit him a bit far back on purpose to miss the shoulder. Both bullets obviously opened well but held together and exited, no fragments obvious.

The elk, though much further, the bullets still held together and did more than adequate damage while holding together and ALL exiting.

The next day, another guy used my gun to shoot a 159-score whitetail. He thought it was already wounded so took a Texas heart shot. At 200 yds, the bullet passed through the inside of the left rear quarter (destroying most of it), through the pelvis, through the guts, and up into the front of the chest cavity. I was not there when they cleaned it but I was told no one present had ever seen a deer that destroyed inside before. They did not find the bullet, but since it damaged the full length of the deer clear up to the front of the chest I'm confident it retained most of its weight. I am never switching from Accubonds in that rifle.

Though for a dedicated deer hunt at under 400 yds, I would want to use less gun.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:49 PM

This time instead of the bullet devastating the off side shoulder like I thought it would it went down a little different. The bullet went right in between the rib meat made a u-turn and went straight through the guts. Most of the vitals were completely untouched. Didn't even hit the liver. There was also no exit hole and deer hardly bled at all. There was a small amount of blood at the impact site but nothing beyond. I found her about 50 yards away.

It was very crappy gutting job.

I'm still pretty surprised by the performance of the 300 WM. I wonder how much of this is a result of the bullet I'm using.

In case anyone wants to comment I'm using a Speer Spitzer BT 180gr.

Tom
Wow, I have shot 10+ deer with my 300 win mag at various ranges and have never had one bullet not go completely through a deer. I have made neck shots and broadside vitals as well as frontal shots and never had bullet deflection or deviation.

Not sure if its the bullet type, but I would do something a different. I have used factory Accubonds in 180 grain, Rem. AFrames in 200g, and XP3's in 180 grains.

My suggestion is to use a different factory load or if you are reloading, use a different bullet/powder charge.

Yes, there is a fair bit of bloodshotting if you hit ANY bone. When I put a ringer through the vitals, there is bloodshotting around the ribs, but there isnt a lot of useable meat there.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry cant comment on the speer bullets. I shoot 165gr accubonds out of my win mag, they do a great job for me. I usually try to put my shot right behind the shoulder to minimize meat loss. To tell the truth I cant tell the difference in meat loss between my 300mag, 7mag or my 06. A high velocity bullet is gonna cause massive tissue loss there is no way around that and thats what you want a bullet to do anyway.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Don't shoot the part you want to eat!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Don't shoot the part you want to eat!
yup.....if you're interested in meat loss then shoot them where the damage is small.....behind the front leg through the ribcage is fine.....I actually shot a buck between the eyes this year.....no meat loss at all and the antlers will still mount nicely.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

At this point I have to believe that it's the bullet. Both shots were heart shots so they were placed in places that would minimize meat loss. I'm going to have to shoot a premium bullet. I'll leave the speer bullets for paper.

I have a box of 180gr Accubonds. I'm going to make some of those up.

Tom
Old 11-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the 150 gr Win power points out of mine and it usually doesn't tear them up to bad. Entry and exit holes are about the size of a quarter or alittle smaller.