Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Muzzle Brake Opinions? >

Muzzle Brake Opinions?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzle Brake Opinions?

Old 01-03-2002, 07:45 AM

Default Muzzle Brake Opinions?

Considering threading one on a 375 H&H. But in my research I couldn't believe just how many are available and with so many to choose from, I'm looking for some advise? Any opinions?

As an aside, Que Brake has a model that does not require threading of the barrel. Any experience or advice on this model.

Thanks,
340WBYMAG
Old 01-03-2002, 07:54 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Muzzle Brake Opinions?

Wow, that's a new one on me. I thought I have looked them all. Do they have any webpage or catalog?

Old 01-03-2002, 11:49 AM

Most of the brakes I was looking at were at www.brownells.com, but for additional information on the Que brake (resembles a BOSS) check out www.queindustries.com

Because I live in Canada and we are not as lucky as hunters in the USA to have places like www.answerrifles.com, the total cost of having this work done increases. The brake has to be purchased separately and then installed by a gunsmith.

Thus I'm looking for some advice on which brake to purchase? Any opinions? etc.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:10 PM

I think if I was going to put one on a rifle, I would look for one you can take off easily so you wouldnt have to have that extra noise when hunting. They can be fierce on the old earpans.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

IMHO if a person has to have a muzzle break installed for what ever reason in a rifle they are better off shooting a different caliber.
Many guides refuse to allow muzzlebreaks and like porting in a shotgun ,it doesn't win you many friends at the range or while out hunting.
If you absolutely have to go the break route git one that can be replaced with a solid one for hunting.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:13 PM

Although I've not seen any of their adds recently in various firearms/hunting pubs, is KDF still in business?

About 10 years ago, I fired a friend's Model 70 in .300 Win Mag equipped with a KDF muzzlebreak (profile matched normal barrel, nothing extravagant or oversized)with stout handloads from the bench a few times...I honestly could not tell the difference between it and the recoil from my stainless A-Bolt Stalker in .270 Win!! (No Browning BOSS in 1990-91...)
Old 01-03-2002, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have fired guns with them and they do reduce recoil but you must wear ear protection even when hunting if you have a muzzle brake.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:55 PM

I HAD THE BARREL ON A SENDERO SF IN 300RUM DRILLED, I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE. BUT, I WOULD RECOMEND THE SCREW ON TYPE. I LOBBED THREE SHOTS AT A COYOTE AND COULDN'T HEAR FOR A WEEK. IF I HAD A CHOICE I WOULD TAKE THE BREAK OFF WHILE HUNTING.

CERTIFIED GUN NUT--
Old 01-04-2002, 10:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-04-2002, 02:26 PM
Spike

I had Answer put a break on a 7mm, but did I say it is loud! You can also take the break off and screw on a muzzle ring while hunting, just be certain your point of impact is close to the same; and indeed you will not make fellow shooters happy at the gun range.