Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Whether to free float or pressure bed >

Whether to free float or pressure bed

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whether to free float or pressure bed

Old 01-02-2002, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default Whether to free float or pressure bed

I've been doing some bedding of actions,using the American Gun Inst. tape. This guy believes in pressure bedding sporting barrels and only bullbarrels and target barrells be floated. I've got a 270 in a 700adl Rem that is floated and it shoots a 5/8" group,can't ask for much better. Would like to do a 300 Weatherby, but don't know which way to go. Could use some help in deciding. Thanks Zeak
Old 01-02-2002, 11:20 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Whether to free float or pressure bed

I have never seen good results from pressure beds, even on non bull barrel guns. According to McMillian stocks, they say freefloated for all is the only choice.

Old 01-02-2002, 05:17 PM

If it was me I would try free floating first and then put some pressure in later if you dont get the accuracy you are expecting. You can always take it back out if it shoots worse. The remingtons and most of the milled actions will shoot better free floated for me, the cast receivers , especially ones with a tang can be hard to get to shoot really good. I have found a number of model 70's and rugers to shoot better with some slight forearm pressure. thats why so many makers of custom tack drivers use remington actions. Its just much easier to get top notch accuracy from them. You might read Warren Page's book,"The Accurate Rifle" There is some good information on bedding there. Or call Doug Shilen (Shilen barrels) and talk with him about bedding receivers. They have worked with all of them and will tell you the straight facts on bedding.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

All of my hunting rifles are pillar bedded with the barrel free floated.They all group 1/2" or better at 100 yards.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Guys for the information. Larry I was thinking on your same lines. Thanks again, Zeak.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Free floating is a good place to start. A little up-pressure can always be added later if accuracy is not acceptable.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:07 PM

Zeak, I just ran across an add in G&A for a book that you might like. Its called, "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" by M.L. McPherson, its $45 available from Precision Shooting Inc. 860-645-8776. I havent read it, but the add sounds interesting.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:06 PM

Here's a pretty good comparison I have a Rem. Sendero in .300WM and a Rem.Synthetic.308Win. Both were restocked with Choate Ultimate Sniper Stocks. In those even the Sendero's barrel looks like a BB in a box car! The Sendero was Brownnel's Steel Bedded w/ a Timney trigger installed and sports a Leupold 4.5-14 Tactical scope. The .308 had the original trigger "smoothed" and lightened a little, 41/2lbs is the best it can safely do. The .308 sports a Weaver 2.5-8 pistol scope on a B-Square scout mount. With the generous free floating both will do 1/2" and smaller at 100yds with the Sendero leading at 3/8" or a tiny three leaf clover. The .308 comes close sometimes, the pistol scope is a handicap in the super tight group dept., but thats my brush to open pasture deer'n 'yote rifle.