Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Just watched a Hunting show Ruger 375 >

Just watched a Hunting show Ruger 375

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Just watched a Hunting show Ruger 375

Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Just watched a Hunting show Ruger 375

Since whendoes a bottle necked cartridge not provide positive headspace? Headspacing off of the shoulder and case head is a far better way of doing it than with rims or belts.

I will give you that tapered cases feed slightly easier than cases with less taper but I haven't ever seen a properly made riflechambered fora full length bottle necked cartridge fail to feed due to the case not having "excessive" taper.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Just wait until I get my new wildcat round going based on the .375 ruger necked down to 7mm.
I'm still waiting on that one. Hoping I can do something with this Savage 110 I have that's chambered in 7mm Rem mag.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Another secret to keep from Ruger lovers. . .I don't want a rimless, beltless cartridge in my Africa gun. I want a big bullet, pushed by a big cartridge, which will feed in a dirty gun everytime,which I can be sure will go off when the primer hits it. The only way to ensure it goes off is by positive headspacing with a rim or belted magnum. The feeding comes from a large overly tapered case filled with mild to normal powder at normal pressures. A stuck case or case split can get you killed in Africa, or even with Grizzley bears. Excessive taper helps feed. It allows the catridge to displace when it meets grit.

New fangled cartridges like 300 WSM, 375 Ruger have no place in a gun to be used where your game likes to eat you, even if your guide/PH has a double in 577 NE.
Well, I am not sure that Itotally agree that a belt or rim is essential for African use, but am more inclined to concur when takling about doubles. However, in the case of magazine riflesfor dangerous game, the opposite is true. IF your bolt action is of the CRF variety with a big ol' Mauser 98-type claw extractor, it is no more likely to cause trouble using beltless, rimless cases than isa double with rimmed ammo. As a matter of fact, using a rimmed case in a bolt-actionrifle can cause a serious problem, if the rim of the top cartridge in the magazine happens to get BEHIND the rim on the one under it during a fast reload! This can, and has, happened.

PH's in Africa have been using magazine rifles for well over 100 years in addition to the doubles, which many PH's cannot afford. One who usedWinchester Model 70's for years was Finn Aagard, a knowledgeable PH if ever there was one!

I have also been told that when it comes to a double, a belted case is NOT equivalent to a rimmed one as regards reliable extraction. I don't knoiw what to think about this assertion. I have a Heym O/U with a .30/'06 barrel under the 20-ga., and have never had a lick of trouble with extraction of fired '06 brass! If I did, I'd change the ejector and use 7X65R cases to make into 7.62X63R cases.

But, I will admit that I have not used it in Africa. However, it seems to me that the days of true safaris like those of Karamojo Bell and T.R. are 100 years in the past. Nowadays, one hunting in Africa is no more likely to have a weapon put out of commission by harsh environmental conditions than is a person pursuing grizzly bearsin the Brooks Range - in fact, a lot less likely!!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes. But the result would have been the same, had the varmint been struck with the same bullet at the same speed, regardless of the name or shape of the cartridge which launched it. Even the old, obsolete .375 H&H......
Of course it will I was just making an observation on a very dangerous animal killed quite humanely. The fact that the round is available in a normal action length and lighter rifle just makes it that much sweeter and adds some merit to the cartridge. If I owned a 375 don't think I would sell it to buy one but if a first time 375 buyer and hunted in Alaska I would seriously consider it.

I
don't want a rimless, beltless cartridge in my Africa gun. I want a big bullet, pushed by a big cartridge, which will feed in a dirty gun everytime,which I can be sure will go off when the primer hits it. The only way to ensure it goes off is by positive headspacing with a rim or belted magnum. The feeding comes from a large overly tapered case filled with mild to normal powder at normal pressures.
Don't understand how the h&H would be any different then the Ruger feeding into a "Dirty" gun. I would imagine the H&H operates at lower pressures and that might be a plus where temperatures are 100+ over a very stoutly loaded cartridge like the Ruger. What problem is there with the rim on a ruger vs H&H vs 416 Remngton vs 458 win or whatever variant? How is one any better then the other?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

Some clarification. Belted rounds IMO are for mag fed guns and rimmed cases are for doubles. I think that clears much of this up.

My point is a properly sized and shaped belted or rimmed round has more clearance and taper than a modern headspace on the shoulder round. This extra clearance and taper allow the round to be forced into and fired in a chamber which may have a spec of something in it.

Rounds which headspace on the shoulder must have minimal clearance at the shoulder of the chamber so they are pushed back against the breech face or bolt face. This fit makes them inherently more picky about this dimension. If a spec of crud is on the shoulder area of the chamber it will be very difficult, or impossible to force the bolt closed. A 0 taper case adds to this by forcing anything on the side of the chamber on to this shoullder surface as it is fed.

So, bolt and doubles have their place. Besides, whether hunting browns in AK or cape buffalo in Africa, I don't want to be stomped or eaten because a spec of poo was in my chamber. I want to force and fire.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

I think what nks was saying is that belted cases are not dependant on the cases dimension from the base to the shoulder to ensure the round is held tight against the firing pin.
I really feel there are way to many new magnums being released recently. I wish that Ruger had released a 7mm,308, 338, 375 series of rounds before the recent barage of new rounds. Its a round thatreally makes sense and would be a great option for building a high performance rifle off the standard magnum bolt face that is so common. In 308 it would exceed the ballistics of the 300WBY.