Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Red Dot Scope for Deer >

Red Dot Scope for Deer

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Red Dot Scope for Deer

Old 03-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Red Dot Scope for Deer

Hogwall:

My Aimpoint and Holosight have 1 minute dots, my Bushnells and OneV have 3 minute dots.

Since I refuse to use magnification, I limit my shots on deer to about 150 yds, and on moose to about 200 yds. I feel confident using any of these sights at those ranges.

Rick
Old 03-29-2003, 08:51 PM

Default RE: Red Dot Scope for Deer

clearance man. i use a 180gr hornady XTP over 15grs of lil' gun. dont know the velocity readout but guessing 1350fps or 1300fps. use a winchester case and a CCI mag primer. though i am switching to winchester primers because of the softer primer since i bought wolff reduced power springs that really lighten up the trigger pull. a good buy at $13 or so. www.gunsprings.com i think.
it is a max load and while i did go over max the accurancy dropped off to 3" -4" at 25yards and the 15gr gives better accuracy.
also i dont crimp the loads in the grooves provided on the bullet, though i do snug them down on the side of the bullet. OAL of 1.66" i believe, it is the max that the GP will take and when i crimped it in the groove accuracy decreased, good figure. experiment a little and see what works best for you.
do the deer a favor and do broadside double lung shots only, no quartering or shoulder shots. in dont know how well they will work and i dont intend to find out. good luck and be patient with the deer i waited 45mins for my shot to line up perfectly