Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which scope for 30-06 (deer rifle)? >

Which scope for 30-06 (deer rifle)?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which scope for 30-06 (deer rifle)?

Old 05-12-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Which scope for 30-06 (deer rifle)?

Spend most of my time on the archery section of the site here but have a rifle question for you all.

I'm needing a good scope for my 30-06 which will be used for deer hunting. Not wanting to break the bank and am pretty loyal to the Leupold scopes.

A) what to look for in a good scope?
B) not wanting to spend much more than $200-300 on a scope.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which scope for 30-06 (deer rifle)?

I would suggest Leupold's Vx 1 or II. I recieved a Vari-x II as a present 7 years ago and it hasn't ever let me down. It's extremely bright during all light conditions hunters would be interested in. I believe the VX-I is the same basic model as the older Vari-X II, and costs about $240 or so dollars. I would suggest getting the flat finish in 3-9 x 40. Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a couple VX-l scopes in 3x9. Top quality for sure. Never a seconds problem in the two or three years I have used them. They were 200.00 when I got mine.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

For under 300 theres tons of very nice scopes out there.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:30 AM

Nikon Pro Staff 3 to 9 x 40. Get it in August or September for the best sales.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The ones mentioned and the Burris Fullfield line

Are you worried at all about size or weight?

I've found (by doing exhaustive comparisons of the specs charts) that you probably get the best combination of size, weight, and eye relief form the leupold scopes. Especially EYE RELIEF.
However, many folks claim that scopes other than Leupold are brighter.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd endorse the Leopold recommendation, but I'd recommend going with the 2-7x. I think it's a more practical power range for deer hunting. 2x gives you a good close range, tight brush option. And if you can't see antlers at 7x, you won't see them at 9x. I usually end up shooting at 4x most of the time anyway.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MidwestJ

Spend most of my time on the archery section of the site here but have a rifle question for you all.

I'm needing a good scope for my 30-06 which will be used for deer hunting. Not wanting to break the bank and am pretty loyal to the Leupold scopes.

A) what to look for in a good scope?
B) not wanting to spend much more than $200-300 on a scope.

What do you guys recommend?
These days, when I want a good scope at a reasonable price, I go on e-Bay and look at all the Leupolds, Lyman All-Americans, US-made steel-tube Weavers, and old Redfields. These are all decent, reliable scopes, and can often be found at relatively lowprices. Don't rule out a good 4X or 6X fixed-power scope for deer hunting. As wingbone says, "I end up shooting at 4X most of the time anyway." Me too. Who has time to fool with a power-change knob when aiming at a deer??
Old 05-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wingbone, that's good advice, but most of the time the best buys are on the 3 -9 range variable scopes.....they sell more of 'em therefore they keep the price down on those.
If you go with the very cheapest model in the Leupold, it called the Rifleman I think, then the price is the same for the 2-7 as for the 3-9 I believe.
I'm not positive, but once you move up the next levels the best buys are often on the 3-9's
I couldn't agree more though about it being nice to have the lower power....I even have and use some old fixed power Weavers in 1.5, 2.5 and 3X.. and one of my favorite all time scopes is an old fixed power Leupold in 4X with the Post and crossghair reticle. Wonderful woods scope. I've actually been collecting old Weavers over the past year. I've got quite a few of 'em now and am looking forward to using them. They are a little heavy weight wise, but it's pretty surprising how good the optics are on some of these oldies...I have a few from the 50's that still are clear and crisp
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's two websites for you.

Optics Planet --- mostly for their articles, reviews, how-to's, discussion forum, etc... www.opticsplanet.com

SWFA (riflescopes.com) --- for their incredible prices of scopes and accessories... www.swfa.com

Butch A.

Quick Reply: Which scope for 30-06 (deer rifle)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.