Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which choke? >

Which choke?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which choke?

Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which choke?

I'm looking to get a Kicks Buck Kicker choke which I've read a lot of good about on this site. This is for my Remington 870 12 gauge and I plan to shoot buckshot.

Here is their link
http://www.kicks-ind.com/ASP/buckkicker.asp

I see that the full says best all around for 00 buckshot. Then the Xtra full one says for 2 3/4" and 3" 00 buckshot-#1 &#4 Buckshot.

I plan to shoot 00 buckshot but would like to be able to shoot mostly 3" and 3 1/2" and not be limited to one of the other. I'd like to be able to shoot 2 3/4" but I doubt I would much. Which one would I be better to go with? The Xtra full or Full? I don't have a ton of money and infact have spent way more this year on gun stuff than I probably should have so I can't buy both and see which one works best.

Also has anyone ordered from Natchezss.com? They seem to have okay prices on them. Is it a good site or no?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which choke?

Well, I got a regular Remington Full choke to try with 3 1/2" Federal 00 Buck Shot. I can't get it to group together. At 40 yards or so. Maybe 30 it hits but is a huge group. Like as in 20-30" group. At 20-25 yards or so it grouped together but was like a ring. It was hollow in the middle where I aimed. Nothing hit there and it was like a ring around it. What choke should I try or what's the deal here? What should I try next?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's tricky to get large buckshot to pattern. It sounds like you're "blowing" your pattern by having too tight of restriction in the choke,try a slightly more open choke such as modified and check pattern then. Another thing would help on pattern is going to a smaller size buckshot.
Nachez is a good company to deal with.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried a Modified choke too and it hardly even hit the box so not sure what it was doing. One pellet hit right where I was aiming. A 2 others were a few inches down then the rest didn't even hit the box so not sure where the other 12 went.

The full choke seemed better but still not that great. A buddy that used to have a gun just like this told me to try #1 buckshot which I've never used but might have to try.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, I think I got this thing shooting good. I shot it some more today. I only used the full choke today. I went to Dicks Sporting Goods to see what they had besides Federal 3 1/2" 00 buckshot I had tried. A buddy told me to give #1 a try. I wasn't able to find any #1 there or at Wal-Mart so I got some Winchester Supreme Double X or whatever 3" 000 buckshot to try and see how it did.

I think this is what my gun likes. At 45 yards or so it was shotting a nice group of about 2-3 pellets in decently grouped then the rest were kind of spread out a little. If you put 3 pellets that size in a group that close on a deer though I think it would easily take him down.

Then at 30 yards or so it put a nice group of 7 shots close together and the other 3 were scattered.

At 10 yards I shot it for the heck of it and it grouped it together about a size of a softball.

These had 10 pellets in each shell.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe
/showproduct?saleitemid=651026
Those are what I used.

I then tried Winchester 3" just the regular ones in the gray box not the black one. These were 00 buckshot but still 3". These did about like the Federal's maybe a tad better. At 45 yards it hit the target but didn't group too tight. At 30 yards or so it grouped a little better but didn't seem to be as tight as the others. I didn't try this at 10 yards. So these worked okay but not as good as the others. At least I didn't think so. I have a box of these from last year leftover where I bought a 15 pack and I have a few left. I will keep these as spairs but more than likely used the 000 buckshot.

It seemed to group about like I expected it to with those. Not sure why it didn't like the Federals and why it liked the 000 buckshot instead of the 00. I wonder if it would like 3 1/2" 000 any better than 3"? I like the 3" as it will hold 5 shells instead of 4 but would it be worth trying the 3 1/2"? What are the reasons to go with a 3 1/2" or is it just whatever it shoots better?

I've heard some people not like Winchester but I'm really starting to like their stuff. I've been a Federal fan but seems like my guns like the Winchester better. This is a case of where it liked the Winchester. Then my 30-06 loves the Winchester 150 grain silvertips. Shoots really tight groups of about 1" if that with them at 50 yards. Haven't tried 100 as the target at 100 yards got destroyed in the wind. It really likes these Silvertips at 50 yards though.

My .22's seem to like about anything. Then my new Ruger seems to shoot Winchester just target loads great although I haven't tried much else.

I don't like Remington after having a shell blow up like I said so I don't try those anymore but it seems like my guns like other brands better anyway.