Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 choke which choke for what game >

choke which choke for what game

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

choke which choke for what game

Old 11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default choke which choke for what game

ok i am getting my mosberg 500 in a week

whch choke should i use for the following game and shot size if you would

pheasent

duck
rabbit
turkey
squrrial
canaden geese next year
and what ever else is good tasting and legel to shoot and in season you wont to include
Old 11-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: choke which choke for what game

Use a full choke for everything just become a better shot. That is what I do.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

not calling ruger WRONG, just i wouldnt do it...you will either hit or miss your game, but when you hit it, its going to be full of pellets and blown up...and a whole lot more misses...

of the things listed,

turkey, get a full, extra full, or other turkey choke...you want a TIGHT pattern shooting #4, 5, 6 lead, copper plated or nickle plated shot, or hevi shot.

squirrel, id recommend modified choke shooting 4s 5s or 6s. squirrel arent REAL tough, but ive watched some take ALOT...i no longer use 7 1/2 for them..

rabbit and pheasant, id recommend an improved or modified choke. depends how close the shooting is...if its close, go improved. if farther, go modified. shot size i like 5, 6 and 7 1/2

cant comment much on duck and goose

things to remember...the lower the shot number, the bigger the pellet and less pellets in the shell. bigger pellets hit harder and do more damage, but are alot hard to hit a flying or moving critter with than a small shot...but small shot wont work well on bigger/tougher critters...

use more open chokes for close shooting/moving targets like rabbit or phesant etc...common chokes from the most open to the tightest Cylinder, Improved, modified, full, extra(turkey) full...lots of other chokes out there in between...your gun will likely come with improved, modified and full chokes..

PATTERN your gun with all your loads and chokes and see what does what at what range. yes, i pattern my guns and chokes to shoot small game..that way you know when the game is too far out, or what shot size to use, or if something is too close to shoot(yes you can be too close to something...youll either hit it and blow it apart or miss it)

i wont get into the various shotgun loads here and now lol...

my advice, find a buddy or relative that knows about hunting and hang out with them, hunt and shoot with them...ask them questions..if thats not possible, we are always here at HNI....but real life help is always best when possible...

good luck with the new gun!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it can put a lot of pellets in game but I shoot my full choke a lot better then my improved or modified. I was out shooting clays this weekend with the improved and couldn't hit anything. I shoot with my full and 95% (done the math) are dust. My friends hate to dove hunt with me. They mostly use modified and cheap low brass #8 I use a full choke and high brass #6 and hit the birds before they get a chance.

So its a full for me. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656
pheasent
duck
rabbit
turkey
squrrial
canaden geese next year
All chokes used will depend on the range you can expect to shoot. Turkeys are the only of those that I'd recommend using an extra-full on. IC is when you can expect close flushing birds...modified is an all around choke and is usually what I have in my shotguns. The full choke is for long shots of 30-50 yards. Go too open a choke and you won't have a deadly pattern. Go too tight and you'll have a hard time hitting your target.
As for shot sizes...
Pheasant: 4, 5 or 6. I prefer 5. Lead.
Duck: 2, 3, 4. I use 3 or 4, steel.
Rabbit: 5, 6, 7 1/2, 8. I use 6 or 7 1/2, lead.
Turkey: 4, 5, 6. I use 6, lead.
Squirrel: 6, 7 1/2, 8. Any will do, lead.
Canadian Geese: T, BBB, BB, 2. I use BBB or BB, steel.