Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is the Savage M10 smokeless muzzleloader legal in Michigan >

Is the Savage M10 smokeless muzzleloader legal in Michigan

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the Savage M10 smokeless muzzleloader legal in Michigan

Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is the Savage M10 smokeless muzzleloader legal in Michigan

Is the smokeless Muzzleloader Savage M10 legal in Michigan?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 AM

Default RE: Is the Savage M10 smokeless muzzleloader legal in Michigan

Why wouldn't it be?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Muzzleloading Deer Seasons
During the December muzzleloading seasons, muzzleloading deer hunters can carry afield and use only a muzzleloading rifle, a muzzleloading shotgun, or a black powder handgun loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.

Troy, I have wondered this myself. The way the guide states it, no. It would be legal to use during regular firearms season (in the rifle zone not shotgun), just not muzzleloader season.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people debate that "commercially manufactured black powder substitute" includes smokeless powder as it is being used in place of black powder in the rifle. I think this is a very simplistic argument that will not get you very far if you actually went to court with it. The intent of the statute is that a substitute is something equivalent performance-wise, which smokeless is not. This vaguary is why many states have changed their language to exclude "nitrocellulose-based propellants".

If you call the MI DNR they WILL tell you that the Savage is not legal to hunt with when shooting smokeless, though you could use any BP sub in it legally.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 PM

Yes, as long as it is not loaded with smokeless powder. The guy at my local gun store actually uses one. The rub is that when you buy it you have to buy it as a firearm which means you need to do the background check. Where with a regular muzzle loader you could just pay for it and walk out.

Paul
Old 09-12-2008, 06:41 PM
DM

As was said, they ARE legal as long as they are loaded with blk. powder...

My brother has shot numerous deer with his, also several coyotes and a bobcat or two.

DM
Old 09-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Yes, as long as it is not loaded with smokeless powder. The guy at my local gun store actually uses one. The rub is that when you buy it you have to buy it as a firearm which means you need to do the background check. Where with a regular muzzle loader you could just pay for it and walk out.

Paul
This must be a Michigan specific law, or the gun store has bad info as the 10ML is NOT by Federal law, considered a modern firearm and does not require any federal BATFE paperwork, nor does it need to be shipped through a FFL licensed dealer. I bought mine from Natches Shooters Supply online, and it arrived at my front door two days later. The only added requirement was that it was tagged "adult signature required," but that applies to a number of non-firearms items as well and can be specified by the shipper for any freight shipped UPS. However, I live in Iowa (where hunting with smokeless is not restricted during ML seasons), which tends to go right down the line with fed law on such things.

Mike