HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is the Savage M10 smokeless muzzleloader legal in Michigan
Old 09-14-2008, 06:15 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is the Savage M10 smokeless muzzleloader legal in Michigan

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Yes, as long as it is not loaded with smokeless powder. The guy at my local gun store actually uses one. The rub is that when you buy it you have to buy it as a firearm which means you need to do the background check. Where with a regular muzzle loader you could just pay for it and walk out.

Paul
This must be a Michigan specific law, or the gun store has bad info as the 10ML is NOT by Federal law, considered a modern firearm and does not require any federal BATFE paperwork, nor does it need to be shipped through a FFL licensed dealer. I bought mine from Natches Shooters Supply online, and it arrived at my front door two days later. The only added requirement was that it was tagged "adult signature required," but that applies to a number of non-firearms items as well and can be specified by the shipper for any freight shipped UPS. However, I live in Iowa (where hunting with smokeless is not restricted during ML seasons), which tends to go right down the line with fed law on such things.

Mike