Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 My Stoeger 2000 had misfires? Firing Pin Hitting Soft? >

My Stoeger 2000 had misfires? Firing Pin Hitting Soft?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My Stoeger 2000 had misfires? Firing Pin Hitting Soft?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Default My Stoeger 2000 had misfires? Firing Pin Hitting Soft?

Dont know if maybe this is part of the breakin process, but anyways... Got out to the field yesterday with my new gun. I did take it appartand cleaned all the greese out and relubed it with break free oil. I was using remmington heavy dove load (NOT high brass). I think its 1 1/8oz. But the 1st 2 shot fine. I was like "this is sweet" Seen a dove, and went to shoot and just went "click". Im like "hmmm". Ejected the shell, and you could see where the pin hit, but didnt look like it hit very hard. My buddy has a new 870, and my other buddy had a old savage 12ga and grabbed some of there spent shells. Compared all 3 and you could see there firing pins were making a bigger indent then mine. It misfired for me 3 times within maybe a box of shells. So i switched to highbrass winchesters, and never had a problem with them. is this something that can be adjusted to make the pin hit harder? or is this just part of the breakin pricess? I only got off about 2-3 boxes yesterday. Other then this the gun is sweet, and really like it. My dad has a franchi I12, and like this gun just as good.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My Stoeger 2000 had misfires? Firing Pin Hitting Soft?

Did you clean the inside of the bolt and receiver like it says in the owners manual?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:34 PM

Thats the only thing i didnt do, everything else was clean but the inside of the receiver itself. I didnt have my owners manual when i was cleaning it and didnt know how to get the firing pin out, and everything else to clean.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

SF,

Did the manual actually say it was necessary to clean out the action? I've never cleaned out the action on my Stoeger. Also never had a problem with it either.

Tom
Old 09-03-2008, 12:46 PM

I dont think it said anything, but did mention about assembly showing how to put it together. I read most of the book, and was going to clean everything anyways. Im just going to give it some time, may just be break in.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

These guns are coming from Turkey and are probably pretty heavily packed with shipping grease. There could be metal chips in there from manufacturing. Always a good idea to give it that good first thorough cleaning.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:53 PM

What size shells and shot are you shooting? I have noticed with mine that 2 3/4 lower powered shells tend to not completely cycle well and tends to leave the action a little open causing a mis fire. I have never had problems with any higher powered shells just the low one.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never cleaned my action. Shot plenty of 1 1/8 oz shot in it and not once had a cycling problem. My guess is something when wrong on your complete cleaning. I'd call Stoeger.

Tom