Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting in a riflescope >

Sighting in a riflescope

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in a riflescope

Old 09-01-2008, 06:56 PM

Default RE: Sighting in a riflescope

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper
I never posted that I shoot groups before making major adjustments.I will make a 6" or 8" adjustment to get close based on a single shot.However,once I am within an inch or so,I shoot a three shot group before making the final adjustments.In reality,my sight ins are usually complete within eight shots,one major adjustment based on one shot,one three shot group before making the final adjustment,and a three shot group to confirm that adjustment..However eight shots is a far cry from the one or two shot sight ins that you are posting about.
And you stillsomehow see a difference in what I posted?

One shot to get in the Bull, fine tune from there.....sound even remotely familiar?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:04 PM

Just curious Stubble, why you would post this here, as if leading all to think most hunting rifles won't shoot any better.....

As far as 1-1/2" groups are concerned,that is pretty average in the world of hunting rifles.Only a very small percentage of hunting rifles average 1/2" or better,and making a 1/4" adjustment based on a single shot with even a rifle that is capable of 1/2" groups isn't very accurate.
Then over on the 'Fire, you post thatyours do shoot better, as if leading all to think sub MOA is normal....

I have owned several factory rifles than could consistently shoot sub moa with handloads.All were bolt actions by Ithaca/Tikka,Remington,Howa,and Browning.
Playing to a different crowd, mebbe?

And which statement do we take as Gospel.......
Old 09-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just curious Stubble, why you would post this here, as if leading all to think most hunting rifles won't shoot any better....
The simple truth is that a 1-1/2" three shot group at 100 yards is probably even optimistic for the average hunting rifle with factory loads.This includes all hunting rifles from the higher quality bolt actions to the pumps,levers and semi autos.,to the surplus military rifles that some people hunt with.For every rifle that shoots sub moa,there will be some that can't do better than 2moa.Many people still use 30-30 lever rifles,and most would be very very happy with 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards.As well many people do not reload,or even bother to test many factory loads to find the best load for their particular gun.Even Weatherby only offers a 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee with most of their rifles.They charge a healthy premium for the sub moa models..

Then over on the 'Fire, you post thatyours do shoot better, as if leading all to think sub MOA is normal...
As I stated at the campfire,my sub moa groups were produced with high quality bolt actions,shooting handloads developed for each particular rifle.That is a far cry from someone shooting a remington 742 with the factory loads that he picked up ay Walmart because they were on sale.

If you don't understand the difference,it must be because that pain that you keep mentioning is effecting either your reading comprehension or your ability to think clearly.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:51 AM

Playing to a different crowd, that's what I thought........
Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Playing to a different crowd, that's what I thought..
Then obviously,you aren't thinking very clearly.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM

'Tis obvious that you are given Black and White...and see onlyGray.

MUCH obvious.......
Old 09-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Loony, you're correct... If you can fire one shot, make an adjustment, and then fire consistently at 300 or so meters, then that's all you need to do. In the hunting world, shots are rarely attempted at a greater distance than 300 to 400 meters, so this is practical.

Stubble, you're correct... I was taught to make an adjustment only after firing atleast a 3 round shot group, and I practice this consistently. It would never do for me to fire one shot, and then make one adjustment. BUT, that is because I usually fire at a greater distance than 400 meters.

You're both right, so there.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stubble, you're correct... I was taught to make an adjustment only after firing atleast a 3 round shot group, and I practice this consistently. It would never do for me to fire one shot, and then make one adjustment. BUT, that is because I usually fire at a greater distance than 400 meters.
I never posted that I don't make any adjustments based on a single shot.I posted that I make rough adjustments only based on a single shot,and fine adjustments based only on a group.My main point was that it takes more than one or two shots to properly sight in any rifle.If I was handed in a rifle with a bore sighted scope, that I had to hunt big game with the next day,I could be reasonably comfortable after a seven or eight shot sight in,but not after only firing one or two shots out of that gun.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:33 PM

I sight it at 100 Yds using the highest power, then check it at lowere power ranges.

firstshot
--------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 09-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

When sighting in a new rifle scope the first thing I do with a bolt rifle is bore sight by placing a orange target dot on a target at 25, then remove the bolt and place in a craddle/solid rest/ a spare set of hands, etc so that my bore is centred on the dot and then adjust the cross hairs to match. I then shoot 1 at 25, if major adjustmentare needed I make the adjustments and fire another shot. Remember/note when making adjustments at 25 yards you need to times (1/4)x 4 or 16 clicks = 1". I then move to 100 yards and shoot a 3 shot group before fine tuning. Once I have fine tuned I continue shooting 3 shot groups to verify load/gun accuracy.

Forload development/testing I just make sure I'm on target for shooting test groups. I fine tune when I have found theload combos of interest.

Highest X on the scope for sight in.

Quick Reply: Sighting in a riflescope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.