Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting in a riflescope >

Sighting in a riflescope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in a riflescope

Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Spike

Default Sighting in a riflescope

When sighting in a new riflescope, should the scope be on the highest power, the lowest power or somewhere in the middle? I'm look'in at about 100 yrds.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Default RE: Sighting in a riflescope

If you can't bore sight it, I would start at say 25 yds on the lowest power to get on paper. Then move back to 50 yrds and adjust to get center again, then move to 100 yards and make your adjustment. If you can bore sight it old school way or with a laser, then you can probably start out at 100 yards and be on paper. But you should sight in on the lowest scope power.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

At 100 yards,I use the highest magnification to make for the most precise aiming.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: deroche117

When sighting in a new riflescope, should the scope be on the highest power, the lowest power or somewhere in the middle? I'm look'in at about 100 yrds.
If you are good, the rifle is good, the scope is good, and the load is great...itshouldn't matter.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

highest power for more precise aiming . On low power the recticle in most scopes cover to much target
Old 08-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

If you are good, the rifle is good, the scope is good, and the load is great...itshouldn't matter.
and you can do it in 4-5 rds............
Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Highest power on the scope, for both precision and magnification of the bullseye.

Bore sighting = a rough estimate to "get you in the ballpark". It willget you on paper at 100 yards, but you won't know exactly where yet.

Fine tuning the elevation + windage = an absolute MUST. Can be done in as little as 5 or 6 shells. At 100 yards, 4 "clicks"up/down/left/right will equal one inch on paper.

Best advice... Get a bench rest or bum one from a buddy.

My sighting in story: Back when I got the new Bushnell 3-9x40 scope on my oldSavage 110.308, I got ahold of a buddy of mine who has real good, solid, bench rest. He met up with me at the range. He shot my rifle, I shot my rifle, we took turns shooting, as we fine tuned it with his bench rest. Then once we got it dialed in, we hung up a new target. He quickly ran a bore snake through it, then loaded 3 shells. I watched from the spotting scope, as he hit the bullseye dead square on! Then he chambered another round, and BOOM! hit the bullseye again and made the bullet hole touch the other one. I couldn't believe it! So then he re-centered the bench rest and the whole sight picture and let me take the last shot. You guessed it. BOOM! I nailed the bullseye and darn near made the bullet hole touch the others! [8D]

Since the range only went to 100 yards, my buddy then grabbed the elevation knob and went "click, click, click, click... There. Now you're set 1" high at 100 yards. You should be able to drop anything in its tracks out to about 250 yards with this old .308". [8D]

Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

At 100 yards, 4 "clicks"up/down/left/right will equal one inch on paper.
That is the way that it is supposed to be on most scopes,however it is not uncommon for the point of impact to move a little more,or a little less than that.

Best advice... Get a bench rest or bum one from a buddy.
As long as it isn't the type of rest that clamps onto the rifle and prevents it from recoiling properly,as those types of rest can effect the point of impact.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: skb2706

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

and you can do it in 4-5 rds............
Thinkin' more like two........if only because the second shot is a confirmation that the scope tracked.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

At 100 yards, 4 "clicks"up/down/left/right will equal one inch on paper.
That is the way that it is supposed to be on most scopes,however it is not uncommon for the point of impact to move a little more,or a little less than that.
4 clicks on a 1/4 MOA scopeare supposed to equal one MOA, each click equaling 1.0473 inches at 100 yards.

Rarely are the adjustments calibrated spot on that precise amount of movement.

No two scopes are identical in that regard.......

Quick Reply: Sighting in a riflescope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.