Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!!! >

EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Spike

Default EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!!!

This has nothing to do with deer hunting. This past Thursday someone broke into my girlfriends house and cleaned her out. This happened in broad daylight. Thank God she was not home. I am posting this to both put everyone on alert and to ask for advice. Times are getting tougher and people are doing unheard of crimes and women most of the time the most vulnerable. PLEASE teach your wives, girlfriends, mothers, etc. how to shoot a handgun and protect themselves. My girlfriend is not a stranger to shooting a pistol but now she will not go into her own house without me present or until she purchases her own gun. I am pretty knowledgable about handguns but need advice on a high quality pistol for her to carry. She wants nothing smaller than a .40 cal and price is not an object when it comes to personal safety and reliability..........All comments welcome and hopefully this post will help others!!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:40 PM

Default RE: EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!!!

There are several good guns to choose from. I first must assume that you are wanting a semi-auto, not a revolver .... Is this correct?

If it is, there are a few top of the line guns that would meet her needs. One is an HK USP Compact .40 cal. It is an amazing handgun. Was used by the Navy Seals for a while, then HK began making them their own gun for Military service. I own one, and might be willing to sell it. I bought it to carry concealed, but I have since bought three or four others that I use more. So it doesn't see the light of day much. And my wife has shot it and likes it a lot. It fits her hand well. And the recoil is quite managable.

Second would be on of the Glock Sub-Compacts.... These are very reliable too, but their configuration has the safety built in to the trigger, so if the trigger is pulled, the gun goes Boom. If it is laying on a table and it is loaded, a child can walk by and pull it and make it fire... Thats my only beef with that gun... The HK has a separate safety and decocker switch on the gun..... you have to remember to push it down to fire.... very safe.

Others I like a lot are Kimber's , and Para-Ordinance. Para makes some fine compact 1911 style guns that work wonderfully. I want to get one of them one of these days. Guns likt the Wart Hawg or Nite Hawg.... great size and good stopping power.... I believe they would fit a womans hand size very well. Another very dependable brand is the Sig Sauer ..... They have a good variety to choose from so I'm pretty sure you could find something in that line to fit her...

Where in LA are you located.... I am in El Dorado, AR about 15 miles from the LA line.

Holler if you need / want me to break any of this down further.... Glad to help. I have bought my wife 2 guns this year for her protection. One in the car and one in the nightstand. PM me if you want to discuss anything.

God Bless

MET

Old 08-18-2008, 05:26 AM

I just bought a Springfield XD40 Sub Compact and love it. I dont know why i was debating on getting a Taurus instead of the Springfield.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 AM

I own a Smith & Wesson SW99 in .40 caliber. I love that gun! Guns are a personal preference but that one just fits me. I don't even have to think about aiming because it just hits where I want it to. It's smaller so should fit your girlfriend's hand. My ex had no problem holding it but didn't like the recoil when compared to a 9mm. I have put thousands of rounds through it without a single jam or any other problem. You should at least have her hold one to see if she likes it.

When looking at compacts, I think a 1911 style or any .45acp might be a bit much. All of the .45 compacts I have shot have a pretty stout recoil.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

My brother has a Springfield XD .40 subcompact and that'll be the next auto pistol I buy as well!!! extremely accurate, hadnt had a misfeed yet, low recoil.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:19 AM

A Glock .40 is they way to go simple and reliable as everyone knows all the parts are internal like the hammer the only saftey is the trigger pretty much, i know we will be getting one soon
Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Spike

Thanks guys for all of your help. We decided on the Glock 27 which is the sub-compact .40. She has been trained on how to handle a firearm. This will not be a solution to the problem, but hopefully protection if an adverse situation ever arises.

God bless you all and good luck this season!!! [align=right]
[/align]
Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Spike

It's hard to miss the target with a shotgun.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

X2 shotgun, just racking the slide will send all but the stupidist or drug addled scum running! Hip shot little aim clean out the hallway! When your scared aiming is hard to do,,,,,,,think about buck fever. You can leave the gun loaded and it takes more than a little kid to rack one n the barrel. Pistol is very hard to aim in a tense situation.