Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anyone know if Gander Mountain is going out of business >

Anyone know if Gander Mountain is going out of business

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone know if Gander Mountain is going out of business

Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anyone know if Gander Mountain is going out of business

I have been to my local store about 3 x in the last month and 1/2 and see the same guns over and over. One bottomrack that is about 40 foot long had no guns at all in it(RIfle Section) yesterday they had some muzzleloaders mixed in with the rifles. To top it off they have all the brand models mixed up all over the place. SOunds like they are shuffling stuff around to act like they are selling. ANyway if they go belly up it won't be a great loss.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone know if Gander Mountain is going out of business

They may be doing like Sportman's Warehouse did down here in Texas earlier this year, and closing some stores that aren't profitable. The company is still in business, just not in our area.

I haven't heard of any problems with Gander Mountain, but I'm sure all the sporting goods retailers are hurting some in this economy.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

They may be doing like Sportman's Warehouse did down here in Texas earlier this year, and closing some stores that aren't profitable
They did that with the Sportsmans Warehouse near me- it was open for about 9 months and then they suddenly closed it. Can't comment on GM, don't go there more than once or twice a year despite having one a couple miles away.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Still going strong here, use to look like junk, but seems better than ever here.

Cabelas on the other hand....makes me wonder? Been to many in this country but our local store here in IL makes me wonder, are they trying to catch up/expand too quickly?

Also I've noticed cabelas making/selling way more of their own stuff lately, cabelas camo brand etc...., tends to seem cheap/junk. Seeing less and less other brands when I visit them.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:41 PM

It is not smart to buy used guns and try to sell them for the same price if not more than a used one, especially in today's economic recession.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The local GM in our area started off turd slow but i see more and more people in the parking lot the longer it stays open. It really surprises me though because their prices are horrible on many items, more specifically rifles. However, they do offer a lot of the higher quality equipment though, so when i need to find a rather pricey piece of equipment that i cant just walk in anywhere and find, i can almost always walk right in to GM and find it.

Cabela's though......
All i see in their catalogs is Cabela's brand articles of clothing, shoes, tools, sleeping bags, tents, jeans, socks, belts, cammo,etc. Im sure that if washing machines became popular in hunting, they would stamp their name on some and sell them as the premier piece of equipment. Thats fine if it is the top of the line stuff and you are selling it as top of the line stuff, but the real problem is, EVERYTHING i have seen with their name on it looks like it is made with the cheapest materials and cheapest craftsmanship. If i see something with their logo on it, I instantly move on to the next item, not because i dont like cabela's, but because most everything with their brand name tatoo'd on it looks like cheap quality junk that they bought from the lowest bidder so that they could strap their name on it and make a buck. Cabela's brand to me used to mean quality, now it means "junk that has been given the Cabela's name so we can sell cheap crap for a lot more"
Old 08-12-2008, 01:42 PM

Not a valid conclusion Gangly! I bought some Cabelas Extreme Stalker arrows that are basically Easton arrows for half the price if they would have said Easoton on them instead of Cabelas and they flew twice as much better for me! Am I saying that ALL of the products that Cabelas puts their name on are junk? NOPE! I am letting you know that perhaps some of the products that Cabelas puts their name on are of good quality, perhaps.

The fact here, is that I would not buy a used rifle for the same price if not more than a new rifle given the same w/upgrades on them or not.. Just no need to..
Old 08-12-2008, 01:55 PM

Gotta wonder who cares.........
Old 08-12-2008, 01:56 PM

The gun section at our Gander has been like you describe since it opened. Their prices on used guns are high, especially considering the market here. As a result, they have the same guns every time I go in. They have a BFR in .45-70 that they want $1000 for used. I can get a brand new one for $850. Maybe it's just there for display.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:32 PM

Ours is still going strong. Used gun prices are a bit high and they usually don't have many but you can get some decent deals on new guns and optics. And they have a pretty good selection. You want high prices look at Cabela's used guns! Holey crap some of them are high compared to our local gun store. They have a ton of them though.

Paul

Quick Reply: Anyone know if Gander Mountain is going out of business

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.