Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Magna Porting vs. Muzzle Break??? >

Magna Porting vs. Muzzle Break???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Magna Porting vs. Muzzle Break???

Old 08-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Magna Porting vs. Muzzle Break???

I have a 30-06 Encore with a LH Thumbhole stock.The rifle has the lighter 22 inch barrel.The rifle has a Swaro A-Line 3-10 scope on the rig. I load a 165 grain BT bullet with a bunch of RL22 for a pretty hot load. The rifle shoots consitently 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards. I am very happy with the accuracy and handling of the rifle. It has actually become my go to deer rifle for the last three or four years.

The problem I have is when I shoot the rifle off the bench it jumps up and hits me every once in a while. This never happens when I practicxe off handed or when I hunt. It only happens when I shoot off a tripod.

The recoil is not any problem. The problem is the muzzle flip. I want to reduce or get rid of the muzzle flip. Lowering the recoil would be alright, but my main concern is muzzle flip.

I have a 340 Wby.that was Magna-Ported(4 ports). It handles great off the bench, but it is a heavy rifle to start with. The only other rifle I have with a Muzzle Brake is another Encore with a 6.5X284 Heavy Barrel. The stock design is exactly the same as my 30-06. I have a picture of the 6.5 below.

The reason why the 30-06 has substantial muzzle flip(IMO) is twofold. The weight of the rifle(with lighter barrel), and the fact that when you shoot an Encore you need to balance the tripod as close to the action as possible.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether to Magna Port, Full Muzzle Brake, or what else?? Tom.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magna Porting vs. Muzzle Break???

On the rifle that you pictured I would leave it as is.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

if anything, i'd take a mag na port, have both.....will never again own a muzzle break.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

Far as muzzle brakes I would go with this one with the 10 degree port. It will help keep the muzzle down. Here is a link.
http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/
Old 08-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

700XCR-That is some good looking work. I am going to contact that fellow for more information. I am waiting to hear from EABCO on turn around time. I have decided to go with a brake, and not the porting.

The rifle that I have pictured has a MB. The brake was done by MGM. I would send my 30-06 barrel to them to port, but they are a bit more expensive than I would like. Tom.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM

If you don't mind a break (LOUD) then I would take it to a gunsmith that can do the work and explain to him what you want to accomplish. He can probably do the appropriate work to the gun. I would not go with a conventional break designed for recoil. A properly done port job designed to counter act muzzle flip will work much better. I don't have any experience with doing it to rifle, but it works wonders on hand guns. And my Mossberg was ported and it helped quit a bit with muzzle flip, especially with heavy loads like turkey loads.

Keep in mind it might change the load your gun likes though, could possibly make the one you are using more accurate though. While it's being ported have them look at the crown as well and re do it if it needs work.

Paul
Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use a muzzle brake, so you can remove the brake and screw the thread portector over the end of the barrel. Magna Porting is very pernament. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

700XCR-That is some good looking work. I am going to contact that fellow for more information. I am waiting to hear from EABCO on turn around time. I have decided to go with a brake, and not the porting.

The rifle that I have pictured has a MB. The brake was done by MGM. I would send my 30-06 barrel to them to port, but they are a bit more expensive than I would like. Tom.
Call him and leave a message with a phone number to reach you if he doesn't answer. He will call you back. He has to me several times.