Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Magna Porting a handgun >

Magna Porting a handgun

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Magna Porting a handgun

Old 05-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Magna Porting a handgun

We just returned from the range, having shot my 44 mag and my sons 460 mag, both with 5 inch barrels. His gun is a real sweet shooting gun. The recoil is more of a "push back" than the "lift up" recoil that I have from the 44 mag.
I was wondering, has anyone had their pistol magna ported and is it worth it.

Thanks for an input

Dan
Old 05-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magna Porting a handgun

I port all my .44s and .454 casulls myself and it is WELL worth it but make SURE to wear hearing protection tho as it makes them seem louder.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:01 PM

I have a Ruger SBHH .44 7 1/2 inch non ported, it,s a push back type of recoil and is sweet shootin.
On the other hand I have a .44 tracker with a ported 4" barrel that kicks like a mother trucker!

I assume if you were to port a longer barrel Itwould make a lot of deference. I am sure itlessen the recoil.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

im surprised the .460 you find as more of a push back and the .44 a flip up? the .460 is quite a big more powerful right?

this leads me to think its more of the pistols design......ie the .44 barrel may be higher off your handhold, andtherefore causing more of a flip up, not so much due to power, since the .460 is more powerful and pushes back.

porting could only help, not hurt, but it would be louder.......

Not sure its possible to replace a grip etc....that may make the .44 push back more so....?
Old 05-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Magna Port/ProPort did a great job on my shotgun. Their service was as promised and prompt. Less than 2 wks turn around. Have shot pistols that they have done for other people but did not have another to compare it to. Friend of mine had his rifle done and swears by it. Seems as though it would be nice on either of the 2 guns you mentioned. They're a handful.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Lew Horton S&W in 44mag with a 3" barrel. It is magnaported by Larry Kelly. I also had him chamfer the cylinder and do a trigger job that is just phenomenal. Love the gun. The porting helps but it is loud. Hell it was loud before. With Ear Protection on who cares. WHat ever I shoot with it is never going to hear it anyway. At least they won't have to worry about their hearing anyway.