Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question about accurizing my Ruger. >

Question about accurizing my Ruger.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about accurizing my Ruger.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about accurizing my Ruger.

I recently had to glass bed my 270WSM. Mainly out of necessity. I switched to a Boyd's JRS Classic and the tang had extra space that was allowing the action to shift. When it was in the synthetic stock it was rock solid. If your planning on keeping the synthetic I would suggest doing the trigger first and see what that does for you. on mine prior to replacing the trigger I was getting 1" groups with the factory lawyer trigger. I installed the rifle basix at the same time I did the stock so I couldn't really get a gauge on the effect of the trigger alone. BTW be ready to do some filing on the safety to allow proper alignment and function. The instructions with the trigger will show you where you may need to take some material off. You will not be sorry dropping that pull weight down to 3lb's.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's what he said. He could do it it was just a hassle and that it wasn't really needed.

He told me that a trigger job and floating the barrel is all that I needed to make a sub-moa rifle out of it. The shooter may be another story. lol
I have never had one that didn't shoot very well and only one was glassbedded and that was because it went into an HS stock. I took it out of the boat paddle stock and bedded it into that stock. It worked well too but shot no better then other 77's both tang and wing safety models.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger,

I understand the desire to tweak your rifles accuracy, even though it may not be that necessary from a strictly hunting point of view. I have an inline muzzleloader that out of the box shot around 3" at 100 yards. It was good enough to kill deer, and I did take deer with it. But I wasn't satisfied with the accuracy, so I started playing around with it.

First I free-floated the barrel, then I glass-bedded the action. I also got some different varieties of bullets, powders and primers to experiment. Now the rifle shoots 1.5" at 100 yards with several different types of bullets, and my best 3-shot groups have been right around 1".

I'll tell you, it was a lot of fun doing it, and I feel that it was 100% worth it. I did all the work myself, so I spent very little money, just a fair amount of time. I would recommend working on your rifle - it is very rewarding and fun, plus you'll have a better-shooting rifle.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

.......I think I see the BS flag coming out.......

I would take the gun to someone else to make that assesment. It has 1 angled recoil lug which can be a PITA to glassbedunless you know what your doing..

.............just for the record....I think OEH and I are on the same plane... I've bedded a few Rugers in my time.... Never had to deal with more than one recoil lug per gun. Better ask your 'smith just how many multiple lug Rugers he's done.....and if you could see how he's done it....?????
Old 07-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

.......I think I see the BS flag coming out.......

I would take the gun to someone else to make that assesment. It has 1 angled recoil lug which can be a PITA to glassbedunless you know what your doing..

.............just for the record....I think OEH and I are on the same plane... I've bedded a few Rugers in my time.... Never had to deal with more than one recoil lug per gun. Better ask your 'smith just how many multiple lug Rugers he's done.....and if you could see how he's done it....?????
The whole three recoil lugs thing was my mistake from misunderstanding him. He was talking about the three screws attaching the action to the stock.

I've been doing some reading on other sights and I think I am going to replace the trigger and see how much that helps. Then float the barrel and only if I still need more accuracy will I look at bedding it.

I haven't heard anything about this guys 4#s of torque theory but several said the do it like nchawkeye, getting the recoil lug snug but not overly tight, then putting in the action screws slightly less snug. That plus some new handloads should get me where I want to be.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger M77.270 I know where you're coming from wanting better accuracy. The Ruger will never be a target rifle.Its a good hunting rifle and more then accurate enoughfor hunting. I have a dozen or so of the M-77's. None of them have been tack drivers.I have some that's never been fired but the ones thathave been, shot well enough for my needs.You can spend the money for a drop in trigger if you choose. A friend of mine who just died last month did allot of my Ruger's triggers.They break just under 3 lbs and are a great trigger if someone knows what they are doing.I get about 1.5" groups and I'm satisfied with that . If I wanted a target rifle I would have bought one.I wanteda hunting rifle and I can't ask for more.All mine except oneare the MKII's and most are the All Weather.My tang safety one is a M-77V in 25-06 that's NIB.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I floated the barrel and brought the trigger down to 3.5lbs figured out what order to tighted my action screws in and how much and took it out to shoot this week. It shot some of my handloads MOA and put one in at .690. I think I'll let it sit till deer season is over. I am really happy with my rifle now so I guess its time to get a new one and start over. 300 weatherby sounds like fun.