Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Accurizing a Mini-14? >

Accurizing a Mini-14?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accurizing a Mini-14?

Old 04-07-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Accurizing a Mini-14?

Anyone had a Ruger Mini-14 accurized? Could you please provide the name (web site as well if you know it) of the individual or company which did the work? I have a buddy who wants to improve the accuracy of his rifle, but neither he nor I know who specializes in Mini-14s.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2005, 03:17 PM

Default RE: Accurizing a Mini-14?

There is a local gunsmith in this area who has done a fair number of them. I personally think its like putting a silk jacket on a pig . . . The Colt AR-15 is such a superior platform for this application. If you want to contact him, send me an e-mail and I can provide name/phone #. He is a grouchy old guy who hates computers, but does good work. Roscoe
Old 04-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend had one accurized by a guy in Arizona...it was well done...it was also rebarreled to .17 Remington....it could also have been a .204 Ruger.....accuracy was around an inch (real numbers...no baloney) but the trigger pull was still mediocre at best.....better than the original but not good.
Sorry...I have no name or address.....
Old 04-07-2005, 07:55 PM

I'm with Roskoe - - there's no point in polishing a turd. The Mini 14 is a fine rifle for hitting man sized targets out to 150 - 200 yards but there are better choices for target rifles, IMHO.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I accurized my mini-14 myself, its shoots groups a little less then a inch at 100 yards,for the time and money i put into it I could have bought a Colt Hbar which is a natural tack driver out of the box. But I think the mini-14 is a better lookin gun so to me it was worth it.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sell it and buy a Rock River Arms AR 15 Varmint EOP.
I have the 24" with 1/12 twist Barrel.
The 20" with the 1/8 barrel is a great shooter also ( freinds gun)and easyer to haul.

Johnch
Old 04-08-2005, 03:34 PM
bigcountry

HDW, what did you do to accururize?

Old 04-09-2005, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

HDW, what did you do to accururize?
added a muzzle break, bedded the stock, put a scout mount rail which added a little more stiffness and support to the barrel, put a accuracy rifle systems adjustable trigger which i set to lowest which is supposed to be around 3 lbs whatever it is it feels good. For sights I have trijicon reflex II sight and a Leupold M8 2.5x28mm IER scout scope.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:23 AM
bigcountry

Kinda figured most people would have to go all out and tweek the bolt to make sure it contacts perfectly (the lugs that is), and second eithe re ream/recrown the factory barrel or change it altogether.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:24 AM
bigcountry

I had one for a short period of time, and decided it was way too much work. Sounds like youdidn't have to put much into it HDW.

Quick Reply: Accurizing a Mini-14?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.