Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Too much Kick? >

Too much Kick?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Too much Kick?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Too much Kick?

Seems all we hear about at times is kick. Does anyone else out there kinda care less? or have yet to find that pain threshold? or maybe even want a bigger cartridge that kicks more so you know you're shooting something with some power for a particular animal?

Sure when I was boy, kick scared me, made me shoot bad, but now, I've yet to shoot a rifle that I wouldn't shoot again or wouldn't choose to take on a hunt because worry of too much kick etc...

The biggest rounds I've shot were a .340wby and .375H&H, neither I would say was too much, both kick, but I wouldn't say either was close to the "too much" threshold.

After shooting both of those, and looking at the cartridge itself, made me start to think I want more kick/bigger cartridge when the day comes that I go after something really big and dangerous, when that guns goes off I wanna know I sent some serious lead downrange. I'm curious to see where that point comes.

So I'm just wondering who else out there can care less about kick, or at what point kick becomes a concern for them? If kick doesn't scare you and accuracy isn't lost, then it becomes at what point, would you simply avoid a larger round for a smaller one to avoid the discomfort? Would you grab your .375 over .416? or .270 over .300mag?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too much Kick?

I sold a beautiful LH Weatherby to a fellow one time, and when I sold it I knew he would be getting rid of it shortly. I even told him that, but he still wanted it.It was a 378 WBM. He brought it back a few weeks later, and just wanted to get rid of it. He could not take the recoil. I bought the rifle(cheap). I took the rifle out back and shot it off hand. The recoil was bad, but manageable. The problem was when I shot the rifle my equilibrium went screwy. Every time I shot the rifle I thought I was in a daze. I am not sure if this was recoil or muzzle blast. But I did not like the feeling. Tom.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard about the .378wby, more than once. I'm sure many find .416's .458's more manageable than the .378, I think wby has stopped chambering new rifles in that cartridge too.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot 1 rifle that I'll NEVER shoot again. It was a double rifle in .600 nitro express loaded with I believe 900 gr bullets and when I pulled trigger-BOTH barrels went off at SAME time!Perhaps I'm a wuss since anything over a .300 magnum is uncomfortable to prolonged sessions from the bench.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest kicking gun I've shot is a 12 Ga Browning A-bolt shotgun with a 3" magnum sabot. Gives one heck of a kick!I also have shot 7 RUM's, 300 RUM's and they are manageable for me. I would not want to shoot all day long at the range with those calibers, however, I would not hesitate to hunt with them.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even though I really don't have any hunting use for them I just love the magnums for some reason. I love shooting my 45 acp compactat the range and 22's just bores me to tears. I only have 2 rifles right now and none of them are what I call big magnums by any sense but my 300suam and my 300wm are both big enough to be fun to shoot. The worse gun I have shot from the benchas far as recoilis my Rem. 870 Super Mag with 3.5" magnum loads of 2 1/4 OZ of copper 5 shot. It has something like 40+ pounds of recoil. I have shot the 50 BMG and it is awesome but with the giant muzzle break they have the recoil is actually light but the muzzle blast is something to behold. I hear the 700 nitro is a handful and I would jump at the chance to shoot it, the rounds go for about $110 each I hear. I just love big guns with lots of power.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

why would anyone voluntarily subject themselves to the abuse of these hard kicking magnums for no reason? i admit i do own a Wby .300 Mag but i only use it when i hunt stands that allow long distance shots (which is rare, i didn't even take it out of the gun cabinet last year). when i shoot deer with my .25-06, they are just as dead as if they were shot with a .600 Nitro Express. it just makes no sense to me, i guess it's just the "big johnson" factor for some guys.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not a big Johnson thing at all with me I just like fast cars, big calibers and anything else that has some power to it. Some like denim and some like lace. JK
Old 07-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Seems all we hear about at times is kick. Does anyone else out there kinda care less? or have yet to find that pain threshold? or maybe even want a bigger cartridge that kicks more so you know you're shooting something with some power for a particular animal?
Naw, there is a maturing process involved with recoil. When "most" people get to a certain age/experience level, they realize how dumb it was to get the crap kicked out of 'em for years. Some of the best hunters I know shoot nothing bigger than a 243 or 308, and they kill whatever they are hunting at whatever ranges they please with 1 shot.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

So I'm just wondering who else out there can care less about kick, or at what point kick becomes a concern for them? If kick doesn't scare you and accuracy isn't lost, then it becomes at what point, would you simply avoid a larger round for a smaller one to avoid the discomfort? Would you grab your .375 over .416? or .270 over .300mag?
Kick is part of the equation when it comes to Dangerous games..there are no other alternatives, some go overboard even in that department witness the T-Rex or other similiar shoulder mounted artillery. Another problem is way too many people have extreme magnumitis when it comes to deer, elk and garden variety bear. This seems to affect younger shooters who are unduly influenced by the internet and hunting magazines and have never hunted with or drawn from the experiences of an older hunter. I use the cartridgethat works for each of the species to be hunted, there is enough information consulting individual tables, field experience and input from experienced hunters that will tell you what to use. Overgunning is not necessary unless you want to add the macho factor. The fact that you posted this makes me think Recoil is in the back of your mind when you squeeze the trigger.

Quick Reply: Too much Kick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.