HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Too much Kick?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 03:20 PM
oldelkhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Too much Kick?

So I'm just wondering who else out there can care less about kick, or at what point kick becomes a concern for them? If kick doesn't scare you and accuracy isn't lost, then it becomes at what point, would you simply avoid a larger round for a smaller one to avoid the discomfort? Would you grab your .375 over .416? or .270 over .300mag?
Kick is part of the equation when it comes to Dangerous games..there are no other alternatives, some go overboard even in that department witness the T-Rex or other similiar shoulder mounted artillery. Another problem is way too many people have extreme magnumitis when it comes to deer, elk and garden variety bear. This seems to affect younger shooters who are unduly influenced by the internet and hunting magazines and have never hunted with or drawn from the experiences of an older hunter. I use the cartridgethat works for each of the species to be hunted, there is enough information consulting individual tables, field experience and input from experienced hunters that will tell you what to use. Overgunning is not necessary unless you want to add the macho factor. The fact that you posted this makes me think Recoil is in the back of your mind when you squeeze the trigger.