HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Too much Kick?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 11:39 AM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default Too much Kick?

Seems all we hear about at times is kick. Does anyone else out there kinda care less? or have yet to find that pain threshold? or maybe even want a bigger cartridge that kicks more so you know you're shooting something with some power for a particular animal?

Sure when I was boy, kick scared me, made me shoot bad, but now, I've yet to shoot a rifle that I wouldn't shoot again or wouldn't choose to take on a hunt because worry of too much kick etc...

The biggest rounds I've shot were a .340wby and .375H&H, neither I would say was too much, both kick, but I wouldn't say either was close to the "too much" threshold.

After shooting both of those, and looking at the cartridge itself, made me start to think I want more kick/bigger cartridge when the day comes that I go after something really big and dangerous, when that guns goes off I wanna know I sent some serious lead downrange. I'm curious to see where that point comes.

So I'm just wondering who else out there can care less about kick, or at what point kick becomes a concern for them? If kick doesn't scare you and accuracy isn't lost, then it becomes at what point, would you simply avoid a larger round for a smaller one to avoid the discomfort? Would you grab your .375 over .416? or .270 over .300mag?