Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 gun safe in garage question? >

gun safe in garage question?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun safe in garage question?

Old 05-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: gun safe in garage question?

If you do that make sure you use pressure treated 2x4, but I do not think you need air circulation under the safe. If the cement is a bit humid, maybe you can use some 6 mil plastic sheeting under the safe as a vapor barrier?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the feedback guys! The safe will not be visible when the garage door is open because it will be tucked into the back corner of the storage room inside the garage. I think I'm going to use a 2x4 frame to put under the safe and bolt it to the wall studs. Then I'll put a box of the silica gel inside as well as plugging in and using a golden rod. I live in central NC and it can pretty humid here. About the BC Sheath, can it be used on camo guns. I wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just me, but I would be worried having my guns in the garage, even in a safe. Then again I have an alarm system in my home and 3 hundred pound hunting dogs that are very protective and I still have concerns about some one breaking into my home and stealing my guns and loading equipment and supplies. I don't even want to think of the hassel it would be trying to replace of of my stuff (insurance, police reports, gun registration, etc.) as well as knowing some freak would be up to no good with my stuff. Knowing what it's like up here in Canada some authority somewhere wouldtry to put some of the blame on me if theguns were stolen from a garage.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the rechargable Remington dehumidifier in my safe and it seems to work pretty good and I live right on the coast so humidity is relentless here but the safe is in a room with heat and a/c so that makes a big difference. I think if it was in a garage I would want maimum moisture protection.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: savage3006

Make sure your safe is not visible when the garage door is open.
Bolt your safe to the garage floor.
I would use the goldenrod to keep the humidity under control but it depends where you live. If you are in Arizona maybe the silica is sufficient. but if you have a power outlet near your safe, just use the rod.
I agree and that's my professional LE opinion.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

Bolting to the frame of the house is not the same as bolting to a slab of concrete. It would take about 15 seconds with a chainsaw to cut the wall and free the safe. It would be a lot more work if you had to cut through concrete.

Also I do not think it makes any difference if the safe is in the garage or inside the house. Once the bad guy is inside the garage or the house and can operate without being seen from the outside the only thing that will deter them is the time it take to do what they want to do.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bolting to the frame of the house is not the same as bolting to a slab of concrete. It would take about 15 seconds with a chainsaw to cut the wall and free the safe. It would be a lot more work if you had to cut through concrete.

Also I do not think it makes any difference if the safe is in the garage or inside the house. Once the bad guy is inside the garage or the house and can operate without being seen from the outside the only thing that will deter them is the time it take to do what they want to do.
Except in a garage, especially an empty garage, it would be much easier for a thief to wrap a logging chain or cable around the safe and yank it out of your garage floor with his 4x4. Oce the 'safe' is tipped over, its only takes about a minute to break them open. A real safe is mad eout of hardened steel plate, almost all gun 'safes' are nothing more than sheet metal.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:02 AM

Just store your equipement in a private safe at the local bank[:@]
Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing short of Fort Knox will do apparently!!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: savage3006

I also use the gun safe to store other things like my range finder, binoc, gps, etc. You cannot cover those with Birchwood-Casey Sheath.
True! But you can put them in plastic bags with VPI paper from Brownell's. But the rod will certainly harm nothing. In RVN, we used a 40-watt lightbulb in our wall oackers to prevent mildew!.....

Quick Reply: gun safe in garage question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.