Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 gun safe in garage question? >

gun safe in garage question?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun safe in garage question?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default gun safe in garage question?

Is it alright to put a gun safe in a storage room in an attached garage? Do I need to buy one of the humidifier rods to go in my safe so that my guns will not rust? Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gun safe in garage question?

Depends, how well insulated and sealed is the garage, I use silica gel in my safe that is in my bedroom closet. I keep my windows open almost all of the time and haven't had a problem with rust. Are you near a lot of water? If so then I'd say go with a goldenrod. You can buy a box of silica gel and see how that works for you.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

will the safe be visible from the street/driveway when the garage door is open?

may be a quick way for a few guys to throw it in the back of a truck.....not sure that's a big concern.....but certainly could invite trouble......esp if you leave your door open often for a while....

Old 05-26-2008, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having seen the results of guns stored in a unheated room , I would say get the rod .
Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Make sure your safe is not visible when the garage door is open.
Bolt your safe to the garage floor.
I would use the goldenrod to keep the humidity under control but it depends where you live. If you are in Arizona maybe the silica is sufficient. but if you have a power outlet near your safe, just use the rod.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jcpopejr

Is it alright to put a gun safe in a storage room in an attached garage? Do I need to buy one of the humidifier rods to go in my safe so that my guns will not rust? Any feedback would be appreciated!
Keep all the steel parts of your guns covered with Birchwood-Casey SHEATH, (BARRIER)and you will have no rust no matter where the safe is! I used to keep my safe in my barn in upstate NY, and the SHEATH kept them all just fine. I never used a dehumidifier of any sort, and it rains there constantly!!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Spike

Buy the golden rod and install it. What does it cost in comparison to cost of safe and the guns you store inside? Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

I also use the gun safe to store other things like my range finder, binoc, gps, etc. You cannot cover those with Birchwood-Casey Sheath.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use the rod, it's cheap insurance!
Old 05-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd get the safe up off the concrete floor. Maybe up on a 2X4 frame on edge to create a small air space. Then bolt it to the wall studs through the inside wall of the locker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.