Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300wsm/A-bolt/Boss

Old 02-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default 300wsm/A-bolt/Boss

Hey guys, I posted this question on another site, and didn' t exactly get the answer I was looking for, so I thought I would try it here:

I’m new to the site, so please pardon this question if it has been covered already. I’m considering a 300wsm in an A-bolt stainless gun with the Boss system. My question deals with the barrel length. I’m a firm believer in having at least a 24" pipe for a mag, and Browning list the aforementioned gun as having a 23" barrel " with Boss installed" . I was curious to know if anyone has this gun, and if the 23" boss barrel has hindered the velocity of the round. I’ve looked at a few Boss guns, but I’m uncertain as to how much of the 23" browning barrel w/boss is actually pipe not including the boss break, if anyone understands what I' m getting at. I’m not looking for blazing speeds, I just want my gun and caliber to do what’s it’s supposed to do. Thanks for any replies. Mikey
Old 02-24-2003, 09:25 PM

Default RE: 300wsm/A-bolt/Boss

Try this site: www.shortmags.org

It might answer your question.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Browning lists the lengths including the boss.The barrel length would be about 1-1/2" shorter.I personally would order the gun without the boss as they are extremely noisy and do cause a loss in velocity due to the shorter barrel.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

he already tried shortmags i personaly wouldnt want a gun with boss on it sense i would like to keep my hearing. It does seem like u would lose velocity with the shorter barrel but what do i know[8D]
Old 02-24-2003, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the BOSS System it works very well if you take the time to tune it, and you should always wear ear protection anyway. I have a friend that has the BOSS System on a Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win. Mag, and is obtaining under .50" at 100 yds. with factory ammo. Are you sure the barrel will be only 23" with the Boss System? My Browning 2001 - 2002 Catalog dosen' t say either way. That means your barrel will be about 21.5" . Your going to be giving up some velocity. I would ask Browning just to make sure. If it is the case, I would go with the 300 Win. Mag. you will land up with at least a 24.5" barrel. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Treedog is correct, I' ve already tried shortmags.com. ..........seems no one has shot one of these guns through a chronograph to see what the actual loss in velocity turns out to be. I am leaning towards a gun with a break, I do have a shoulder injury[X(], but I am seriously considering a 300 mag as my next gun, so a break would almost be a necessity. I have fired 300' s and 7mm' s with the boss installed, and thought it was a big plus for me personally to enjoy shooting. The noise problem isn' t an issue to me, since I hunt in fields and powerlines a lot, so " listening" for approaching deer isn' t necessary, an ear plug will be in my left ear. Anyone else know any websites where I can pick some shooter' s minds concerning my question? Thanks guys!
Mikey
Old 02-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont wear hearing protection when hunting (of course i do at range) but sense u wont need to listen for approaching deer where u hunt u shouldnt have a problem. i would probly go wiht the 300 winchester mag in that gun wich it has listed as having a 26' ' barrel with boss. the weight difrence in the two isnt much 7.19 300 mag vs 6.38 with the 300 wsm.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:03 AM

From Browning:

http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=113

Q: On comparable models, what is the difference in the barrel length between BOSS and non-BOSS barrels?

A: There is no difference in the overall barrel length. The BOSS-equipped rifle has 2" less of actual barrel length. Our testing revealed, however, that there was no velocity loss.