Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A-bolt 300wsm with the boss? >

A-bolt 300wsm with the boss?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A-bolt 300wsm with the boss?

Old 09-07-2005, 08:28 AM

Default A-bolt 300wsm with the boss?

I hope some one can help me. I have the A-bolt II with boss system and need to know the setting for the 300 wsm 180bst. Does anybody have an idea where I should start? I've also heard that this thing will be so loudI won't be able to hunt with out ear protection. boogs
Old 09-07-2005, 09:40 AM

Default RE: A-bolt 300wsm with the boss?

Can't help you with the setting but I will say, I hunt with a friend with the same rifle in 338. I don't believe you need ear protection while hunting any more with your rifle than with any other rifle. On the range, absolutely, but one or two shots hunting won't hurt you anymore than any other rifle. Just my $.02
Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the A-bolt II with boss system
Do you have a hack saw?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:18 AM

Ahh come on it ain't that bad is it? I didn't think it would or could be that much louder.....that's just what one "expert " had to say.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll never notice the loudness hunting....it just never happens and we never shoot that much hunting.

About the accuracy:

Independent tests have confirmed that the boss does indeed do what it's designed to do. It actually improves accuracy. That said they then removed the boss and shot the A-Bolts with nothing on them and they found that accuracy was still excellent. As a matter of fact the accuracy was so good that the boss contributed very little to the overall functioning of the gun.

We don't see them attached to varmint rifles and we don't see them at benchrest matches.

Remember the hacksaw comment?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 300winmag Ruger with a Boss style tamer on it. It is very loud at the range (so I am told)but when shooting in the field I don't notice it. I always use ear protection at the range. I don't know if I would put one on my next mag rifle. I have heard where some guides will not allow muzzle breaks.

My muzzle break takes it from a mean mule to a nice 30-06.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:22 PM

It shouldn't bother you too much. Not only will you not notice it beccause you'll focus on other things while hunting, but it's much louder for people on the side/side rear of you because of the direction it sends its gasses. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't believe you need ear protection while hunting any more with your rifle than with any other rifle. On the range, absolutely, but one or two shots hunting won't hurt you anymore than any other rifle. Just my $.02
As someone that has actuallyowned a boss equipped rifle in 7mmremmag and fired it for one shot without hearing protection,I can assure you that it is much louder than my 300ultramags without a brake.After that one shot my ears rang for an hour or so.They have never rang before or since from shooting any gun.Luckily for me there was no permanent detectable hearing loss.A friend of mine was not so lucky as one shot from his 300win mag with a brake caused permanent damage to his hearing as verified by before and after hearing tests.We are tested every two years at work and before this incident his hearing had been normal for over 20 years.For the past few years following that single shot his hearing is no longer normal.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

They have never rang before or since from shooting any gun.Luckily for me there was no permanent detectable hearing loss.
Everytime noise makes your ears ring there was permenant hearing loss. I've taken to hunting with a good set of noise attenuating head phones. Not only am I saving my hearing but you can hear better with them on, amplifies the whole woods. Heck I guy I know even uses the things for bow hunting for the increased hearing. I thought it was kinnda stupid at first but know I'm glad I have a pair.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Flying Ferris

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

They have never rang before or since from shooting any gun.Luckily for me there was no permanent detectable hearing loss.
Everytime noise makes your ears ring there was permenant hearing loss. I've taken to hunting with a good set of noise attenuating head phones. Not only am I saving my hearing but you can hear better with them on, amplifies the whole woods. Heck I guy I know even uses the things for bow hunting for the increased hearing. I thought it was kinnda stupid at first but know I'm glad I have a pair.
If you reread my post,you will see that I said no permanent"detectable" hearing loss.My hearing has been tested every two years for the past 25 years and as of the last test,no permanent hearing loss has been detected.

Quick Reply: A-bolt 300wsm with the boss?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.