Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I need a quiet 22 round. >

I need a quiet 22 round.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need a quiet 22 round.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I need a quite 22 round.

To make the paintballs a little harder hitting you could store a bunch in the freezer. Getting hit with a frozen paintball would be like getting hit with a rock.
That's a great idea I am his official paintball tech and the last time I regulated the gun I shot at his little red wagon in the yard. It dented the wagon floor with the balls I used. He gets a pretty good welt when hit by them. I can only imagine how it would punish a 2lb squill.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

To make the paintballs a little harder hitting you could store a bunch in the freezer. Getting hit with a frozen paintball would be like getting hit with a rock.
That's a great idea I am his official paintball tech and the last time I regulated the gun I shot at his little red wagon in the yard. It dented the wagon floor with the balls I used. He gets a pretty good welt when hit by them. I can only imagine how it would punish a 2lb squill.
It'll kill them like you hit them with the truck. I used to have one when I was younger.... its holy hell on woodpeckers. You don't even have to freeze them to have them kill a squirrel. Hard part is hitting them... those markers ain't but so accurate.

I grow tomatoes every summer, and have been pretty much my entire life. When I was a kid (prior to the paintball gun) I just used a pellet gun. Worked fine if you were inside 20 yards. Now I go up to the second floor of the house, and in true redneck fashion, shoot them out the bathroom window with the .22 and CB longs. Been doing it that way for almost a decade now. Nice safe shot right into the ground, and they are so quiet that the dog can be downstairs and not even know whats going on.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

It'll kill them like you hit them with the truck. I used to have one when I was younger.... its holy hell on woodpeckers. You don't even have to freeze them to have them kill a squirrel. Hard part is hitting them... those markers ain't but so accurate.
His old marker wasn't very accurate but the new one he just bought shoots lights out, I cant remeber how many balls per second it shoots but it almost sounds like a real gun in the backyard..another bonus is we can color coordinate the squirrels by using different balls.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Spike

A bolt action is a little bit quiter than a semi-auto and so is a pump action .22. For quiet and legal, it is hard to beat .22 shorts in a bolt action rifle. You could also use BB caps or CB caps but they don't have very much power if you are wanting to hunt with them. I used to hunt squirrels with a .22 rifle and .22 short hollow points. You could sit under a tree and kill 2 or 3 from one tree. they didn't seem to be bothered by the little pop of the short and would be out very soon after you had just shot one out of the same tree.

Of course, you could put a noise supressor (silencer) on a bolt action rifle and shoot sub-sonic rounds but you had better be sure that you are in compliance with all of the laws concerning having and using a silencer. I'm pretty sure that they are not legal for hunting anywhere, though. So, you'd be limited to shooting targets or plinking at cans with it.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:56 AM
Spike

The bb cap just mentioned is a nice short distance squirrel killer but they tend to be sort of hard to keep accurate. Its a .22 round ball, not a bullet shaped projectile. For a long time I have an old sears .22 single shot and fed the bb caps to squirrels and rabbits using it for years. After trying the cb caps that was all I have run thru it now.

I got that gun in 1963 and shot nothing but short hollow points in it for squirrels and rabbits while hunting. I have no idea how many pheasants hit the dinner table using it. I don't know if I ever shot a long or long rifle thru it. Been around a long while but the cb caps are still keeping critters in check along with the pellet gun.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you notice the op was in 2008? I doubt the op is still waiting for help.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrjohn12
Of course, you could put a noise supressor (silencer) on a bolt action rifle and shoot sub-sonic rounds but you had better be sure that you are in compliance with all of the laws concerning having and using a silencer. I'm pretty sure that they are not legal for hunting anywhere, though. So, you'd be limited to shooting targets or plinking at cans with it.
As much as it rankles me to see people necroposting, it rankles me just as much to see such blatantly incorrect information being passed off.

There are a great number of states where suppressors are legal for hunting, and have been for many years.

If you don't know of what you speak and you pass on incorrect information based on your personal presumption, you're not actually contributing knowledge.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

I was going to post about the same thing Nomercy did. Little bugger beat me too it. I have cans for all my AR's and hunt with them all the time in Texas, Alabama, Florida (since 2014), Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. I think all in all you can use a can in 40 states. I'd have to look that up but that was the last number I remember. Might be more now.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

22 short or 22 no powder. Both sound like a light chilly fart.