Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Safeties....2 position or 3 position?? >

Safeties....2 position or 3 position??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Safeties....2 position or 3 position??

Old 04-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Safeties....2 position or 3 position??

What is your personal preference?
I have a few different kinds to deal with, but started hunting with Military rifles and iron sights, thus I grew accustommed to the 3 postion safeties to the aft of the bolt. Obviously when I moved on to my first sporters or guns with scopes I eneded up with 2 position Buehler safeties or foward/backward types that were either tang mounted or on the right side to the rear area of the bolt.
Now, I seem to have a hankering to obtain some of the 3 position safeties that are available after-market for Mauser 98's and Swedish 96/38's. You know, the ones that are Winchester 70 knock-offs. The forward backward swinging 3 position types.
I don't know why I want to be able to open the bolt and load and unload with the trigger disabled but it's just something I got used to when handling my first riflesand liked the set-up.
What are you personal choices folks?

And a second question here. What do you think is the quietest safety going for getting it on and off in the woods without even the slightest sound?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:31 AM
DM

Default RE: Safeties....2 position or 3 position??

I've hunted with 2 position safetys for more than 50 years, and even before that, i learned to keep the muzzle of my rifle pointed in a safe direction. The "safe direction" is what will keep you out of trouble, not a 3 position safety...

Personally, i have no problems with a 2 position safety, and a 3 position is just more of the same...

I do like the way i can push down with my thumb, when working the safety on my 700 Rem., to "control it", makeing it absolutely silent!

DM
Old 04-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info about the Remington saftey and it's quietness.
Anyone else have an opinion of their favirite safety configuration and which they have found the quietest?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Out of all the 3 position safeties you mentioned the Winchester is the fastest to use simply because it has less travel, a bigger wing to push against and is smooth and quiet. That said I prefer a tang safety or a side safety ala Sako which is the best of all worlds being quiet smooth a 3 position and all. The Weatherby MK V safety is also a nice handy safety as is the CZ safety(newer models that fire in the forward position).
Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

I don't care so much about the number of postions. What I HAVE noticed is that it would be nice, at times, to have the bolt locked. When I was crawling through some nast [excrement] on an elk hunt last Fall, my bolt was pulled open numerous times by the thick tangles of alder branches. Eventually, I had to keep my hand back on the rifle, holding the bolt down. This had never bothered me before, but it was certainly a nuissance on that trip.

FC
Old 04-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

What is your personal preference?
I have a few different kinds to deal with, but started hunting with Military rifles and iron sights, thus I grew accustommed to the 3 postion safeties to the aft of the bolt. Obviously when I moved on to my first sporters or guns with scopes I eneded up with 2 position Buehler safeties or foward/backward types that were either tang mounted or on the right side to the rear area of the bolt.
Now, I seem to have a hankering to obtain some of the 3 position safeties that are available after-market for Mauser 98's and Swedish 96/38's. You know, the ones that are Winchester 70 knock-offs. The forward backward swinging 3 position types.
I don't know why I want to be able to open the bolt and load and unload with the trigger disabled but it's just something I got used to when handling my first riflesand liked the set-up.
What are you personal choices folks?

And a second question here. What do you think is the quietest safety going for getting it on and off in the woods without even the slightest sound?
On bolt actions, I prefer a safety that will allow you to empty the chamber & magazine while the safety is ON, but I do like a tang safety as well. I use single-shots, so I like the tang safety of the type on the Ruger No. 1 & No.3. You can empty the chamber with the safety ON.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve hunted with my Remington 700 for years and have always liked the design of that safety and it’s location Now that I’ve been using Sako rifles for a couple of years it works very well. It’s also quite and I like the 3 position design. However I don’t like the safety on my CZ. Just my personal preference...
Old 04-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer 2-position, on the tang, like my Ruger, and my 12 garge double barrel that I grew up with...
Old 04-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer 3-position safeties ala Winchster and Mauser. Not only do thes elock the bolt down, but they also lock the firing pin back when opening the bolt to unload. I have zero faith in sear/trigger blocking safeties.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a sucker for forged steel so I'm a mauser and copies junkie . I like the 3 position safties though my hunting style and areas leave me with the practical optionof the empty chamber.

Quick Reply: Safeties....2 position or 3 position??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.