Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger #1 users....likes and dislikes? >

Ruger #1 users....likes and dislikes?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger #1 users....likes and dislikes?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger #1 users....likes and dislikes?

Here's a 5-shot group from my No. 3 in .30/40 Krag. 170-grain Hornady 30-30 bullet, 50 grains IMR 4350, MV 2500 FPS - very mild!!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Several groups shot with my 7mm Rem Mag. with various bullets.....

Old 04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sometimes suspect there are more inaccurate users than No. 1's!
I think that applies to the vast amount of innaccuracy complaints regardless of the firearm.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

I sometimes suspect there are more inaccurate users than No. 1's!
I think that applies to the vast amount of innaccuracy complaints regardless of the firearm.
(I have long suspected as much.....)
Old 04-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

schoolcraft - I have one #1 right now in 405 Win. But after shooting it, I will not hesitate to buy another if the price is right.
I'm a lefty too - an older lefty. When the only Manf. that made left hand bolt were Savage, Remington and Weatherby. Today you have the same and added to that list is Browning and there are a few Win. model 70s out there in lefty. And you can purchasea lefty bolt in anything from 17 mach II up to 375 H&H. So your limitations today aren't no where near were that were 30 years ago.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Ruger #1 and the Browning and Winchester 1885's are great rifles. The #1 is a classic rifle, and a classic design. Look for one with a great piece of wood, take your time, they can be found.

#1's are like most other rifles when it comes to accuracy. Some are better than others. IMO the bolt action rifle is slightly more accurate overall, but we are splitting hairs when it comes to a hunting rifle.

As far as a fast second shot?? Well I can tell you funny stories about people trying to work a bolt in a hunting situation. If you practice a bit you can be pretty fast with a follow up shot out of a single shot. However I like the allure and challenge of a single shot.

IMO the biggest problem with the #1's is the trigger. However I do believe after market trigger's are now available.

Most people who are concerned with the forearm do one of two things. They either use a rubber washer to try and float the barrel. Or they fully bed the forearm. I think bedding is a better idea.

Buy one in a classic caliber and never look back(30-06, 7X57, or 45-70). Tom.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

"IMO the biggest problem with the #1's is the trigger. However I do believe after market trigger's are now available."

Unfortunately, this is true. The current No. 1's come with a trigger that has two adjustment screws, that essentially DON'T adjust ANYTHING at all......!!

One aftermarket trigger called the Moyers, is essentially a steel copy (ALL Ruger No. 1 triggers are made of aluminum!!) of the ORIGINALRuger No. 1 three-screw trigger which WAS ADJUSTABLE before Ruger "improved it" by making sure no customer could adjust his No. 1 factory trigger in the future.

In addition, there is a nice single-set available, called the Kepplinger, I believe. Then there's the excellent CANJAR SST IF you can find one!!