Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Saturday Night Special >

Saturday Night Special

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Saturday Night Special

Old 04-05-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Saturday Night Special

What the heck is a Saturday Night Special?

My dad (born 1914) always told me that a saturday night special was an inexpensive, snub-nose, 38 special that anyone could carry in their pocket for personal protection during weekend adventures in an urban setting.

I've heard others say that a SNS is a 380 semi-auto.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Saturday Night Special

I believe the SNS is a term relating to any small inexpensive easily concealed handgun. Another term you will hear sometimes is belly gun. That's because you probably couldn't hit anything with it unless you poked it in your agressor's belly.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:21 PM

SNS is any low cost, cheap short barrelled 38 special hand gun. They were mainly targeted toward the lower income inner city types. So in a way, your father is correct. Most places have inacted laws to try to ban these types of weapons.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you are all basically correct with the idea that it is acheap piece of crap that is good only for close-up work, but it sure didn't have to be a .38 SPL. Any caliber would do...
Old 04-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. saturday night special
60 up, 5 down
A slang term for an inexpensive, small-caliber revolver. Dave Kopel, Research Director at the Independence Institute, explains:

The “Saturday night special” is in part a linguistic descendant of the racist phrase "******town Saturday Night." The obvious implication of the phrase "Saturday night special" is that it is a gun used by "******s" to shoot each other with during their wild Saturday nights. No one denies that the people disarmed by a "Saturday night special" ban would be predominantly poor and non-white.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SATURDAY+NIGHT+SPECIAL

The term 'saturday night special' was used to denegrate people who owned guns that were cheap and often owned by people with little money- former slaves. Up to 15 years or so ago, there was still a big push to ban cheap handguns, now the spotlight is on demonizing 'assault weapons' and the people who own them which ironically are mostly middle class white men.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

What the wife gives me once a week wether I want it or not!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mountain Cur

What the wife gives me once a week wether I want it or not!

ROTFLMAO
Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have always heard the definition of "cheap, low-quality, easily obtainable", etc. But I was not aware that it had to be a revolver ora.38 Special-any caliber would fit the description, semi-auto, or revolver. Many were .22 RF's, .32 S&W, .38 S&W, and in the semi-autoi version, .22 RF, .25's, .32 ACP, etc.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lynard Skynard knows about them??!!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:10 PM

Caliber's got nothing to do with it. The term just means a cheaply made, junk pistol...often with trashy alloy frame and about the only steel on it is a barrel liner. Cops often refer to them as "throw down guns." Frequently they are held together with duct tape...literally.[:'(]

Quick Reply: Saturday Night Special

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.