Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger #1 users and lovers......a question >

Ruger #1 users and lovers......a question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger #1 users and lovers......a question

Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger #1 users and lovers......a question

In my ongoing quest to find my "go to" deer/hog hunting rifle, I've recently started looking again at the Ruger #1. They're obviously built like a tank, and point like a well fitted shotgun for me.

Here are my concerns...

1. Have any #1 users ever run into a hunting situation where you needed a quick follow up shot and couldn't make it because you were reaching for another round to load?

2. From what I read, it seems that some Ruger #1 users haveSUPERB out of the box accuracy with their rifles......and then I read about another group that just never get their #1's to shoot with acceptable accuracy.

Just seems like that 26" barrel wringing out every bit of velocity packed into a rifle the same length as a 22" barrel bolt gun is an awsome design.

Help me out folks.......What do you think of the #1's

If it matters, I'm thinking about one in either 7mm. Rem. Mag. or .300 Win. Mag.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger #1 users and lovers......a question

We have a .300 WM and love it. If you place the first shot correctly you shouldn't need a quick second shot. Usually if you have a single shot you are more careful before you pull the trigger.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you get a single shot that could have accuracy problems when you get get a very accurate bolt for less money? I'm not a smart man but I'd want my "go to gun" to be more than a single shot that might not shoot straight. Ihave neverbeen a Ruger fan or a single shot fan. Everyone that has ever hunted big game for very many years at all has needed a second shot at one time or another.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can reload them you know. I've carried a single shot rifle deer hunting for the last 35 years. I carry 5 rounds in a sleive on the buttstock. You can reload them almost as fast as a bolt. I've shot a number of deer on a followup shot although I'vevery rarelyneeded it. In one instance, I shot two deer out of a group of 5. They just stood around after I dropped the first one, then the second one. I could have continued shooting but I was out of tags. I've never felt the need for more firepower.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

You can reload them you know. I've carried a single shot rifle deer hunting for the last 35 years. I carry 5 rounds in a sleive on the buttstock. You can reload them almost as fast as a bolt. I've shot a number of deer on a followup shot although I'vevery rarelyneeded it. In one instance, I shot two deer out of a group of 5. They just stood around after I dropped the first one, then the second one. I could have continued shooting but I was out of tags. I've never felt the need for more firepower.
Not trying to stir the pot, but why would a guy pay more money for somethinghe can shoot almost as fast? It just doesn't make sence. It wouldn't matter to me if it says Ruger or TC, a single shot will never be as effective as a bolt. I would want my "go to gun" to be as effective as possible. JMHO
Old 04-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Collorado, it does make perfect sense. Only because it is a matter of choice. And I believe you are making your statements on assumption as you have never owned a Ruger #1. I've hunted for over 40 years and shot more than my share of game animals in the east, midwest, and west and I can only recall two times when I needed a follow up shot.
I always liked the #1 but was skeptical of the accuracy. I spoke to my cousin who has several and he assured me that they were very accurate. I got a great buy on a #1 Tropical in 405 Win. and this rifle can flat out shoot. And like a bolt action, once you get familiar with the action, you can load it pretty darn quickly. I am currently considering another in either 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too am a Ruger #1 lover. While it's true that some shoot better than others (many guns are like that BTW), #1's are very well made, sturdy and one of the nicest looking production guns out there ...IMO. Some are heavy (varmint models) and some have less than stellar triggers, but that can certainly be remedied without a lot of bother. It really is possible to get quite good at quick follow-up shots. I also have a band that holds several cartridges at the ready on the stock. My current "shooter" is a 1-B in .270. I like the 1-A's and 1-V's also. Recoil with the .270 is barely noticable, and it is likely more accurate than am I. Single shots make you really concentrate and wait for the perfect shot. The extra "challenge" of that is just fun to me. They actually become kind of habit forming and some folks hunt with nothing else. I have NEVER felt handicapped when afield with the #1.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

My "go to gun" will not be a gun I have to question the accuracy or the speed from the very start. And thank you for helping me make my point, at some time you will need a quick follow up shot if you hunt for any length of time.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well sorry colorado, but you may or may not know this but he #1 ejects the empty and all you do is slide a second cartridge in and your ready to go. I would NEVER question the accuracy or the speed of the #1 now that I have owned one. And BTW if your bolt action is so darn accurate, why would you need a quick follow up shot???? Thanks for making my point...
Old 04-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Collorado, it does make perfect sense. Only because it is a matter of choice. And I believe you are making your statements on assumption as you have never owned a Ruger #1. I've hunted for over 40 years and shot more than my share of game animals in the east, midwest, and west and I can only recall two times when I needed a follow up shot.
I always liked the #1 but was skeptical of the accuracy. I spoke to my cousin who has several and he assured me that they were very accurate. I got a great buy on a #1 Tropical in 405 Win. and this rifle can flat out shoot. And like a bolt action, once you get familiar with the action, you can load it pretty darn quickly. I am currently considering another in either 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag.
Well said! Make the first shot count. I own several Ruger#1 and Ruger 77's and I can tell you I am never under-gunned with the #1's They are very accurate and if you actually would even need a follow up on "dangerous game" (or whatever) the ease is there if you practice? Mr. Boddington can contest to that along with myself. The Ruger #1 is one of the best if not the best mass produced rifles out there, PERIOD!!! Make the first shot count and you don't have to worry about the follow-up shot[]JMO
If you have a chance to own a Ruger #1 grab it, they are great rifles. Good luck

Quick Reply: Ruger #1 users and lovers......a question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.