Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 women's hunting rifle >

women's hunting rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

women's hunting rifle

Old 04-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: women's hunting rifle

ORIGINAL: whitetaildreamer

Take a look at the ballistics of the 7-08. It's fast, shoots flat and has very little recoil.
x2
Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

As we all know, people are individuals, and what works for one may not work for another. Many women can handle rifles of considerable recoil, just as many men can't. Here lately, I've seen some reports of women hunting in Africa, and doing quite well with .450/400's and .416 Rigbys.

If a person starts out expecting severe pain/suffering from recoil, it is difficult to find them a rifle caliber small enough! I have found that often, a person's perception of how bad the gun bites them is more due to muzzle blast & noise than to actual recoil. In addition, big, tough guys with alot of body mass often tend to get beat up more by heavy recoil than smaller, wiry guys who weigh a lot less. Their body just can't move with the recoil very easily. Look at old Elmer Keith! Elmer was a small man, yet he was almost totally unaffected by the recoil of things up to the .577 Nitro.

What rifle do YOU shoot? Can your wife handle the size & weight of that rifle? If so, get some of the low-recoil ammo for it, and start her off shooting that. As her shootingimproves, increase the power of the ammo until she is shooting stuff powerful enough for the game you will be going after.

If she cannot handle your rifle, get her one that fits her well, that she can handle, in a caliber like .260 Remington or 7mm/'08 and start her off with that one.

MAKE SURE SHE HAS EXCELLENT EAR PROTECTION AGAINST NOISE & MUZZLE BLAST! That will help keep her from getting scared of the gun.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Adirondack Hunter

well my browning bar .30-06 has no kcik to speak of, mind you its enough to let you know its there, but nothing thats gonna leave you with a sore shoulder.
I had a Browning BAR .308 once. It was way too massive & heavy for that round. It might have been OK chambered for the .338 Win., but it was no gun for long days afield, particularly in mountains. But the BLR chambered for the .308 family of cartridges is just the opposite!