Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Women's bows?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Women's bows?

I have an 18 year old cousin who's looking to buy her first bow. I'm a Mathews guy at heart, but I've been told that Hoyt Trykon's were good bows for women.

Question 1: Is that a good choice for her, or does anyone know anything better?

Question 2: What would be a good draw weight for her for deer hunting? We've already decided that she can't pull back my 65-lb. bow, and I'm thinking 50-55 would be right for her? Is 50 enough?

I'm going to try to get her to drive in and meet me at the shop I use, since they take great care of me, but I'm just trying to get stuff figured out in advance. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 AM

Default RE: Women's bows?

I've always known that the Hoyt Selena is a perfect women's bow and is made especially for them.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

If she know she is going to stay with archery, Why not get the hottest bow For women and short draw archers, bowtech equalizer. Hoyt trykon isa good one but it's not going to be as fast as the Equalizer. Ross is another good one too. 50#should beenough for deer size game. Have her shoot some bows and let her decide.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

The equalizer will be the fastest option at that weight and likely draw length. My wife shoots a Vectrix at 52 pounds. It is a great bow for her. The selena is definitely an option, but there are far better. The selena is marketed as a bow specifically for women, so the price went through the roof. You can do a Vectix or Equalizer for nearly the same and get a better bow. The trykon I would say wouldn't be the best option because the draw cycle is a little harsh on them, so I think the vectrix and equalizer will be easier to pull. The ross will be the smoothest draw of the bunch though, so I would suggest trying one of those as well.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

40-50 is more than enough weight to take anything, well except some dangerous game, around. Possibly a moose is on the outside edge.

She has to be comfortable with the weight and fit, MAKE SURE IT FITS, my wifes first bow was way to long in the belief she needed more speed. She never shot it well. Get the right draw length and a draw weight she can handle with comfort. Most woman from what I have seen shoot in the 40-50 lb range, over 50 might be pushing it. With todays bows and technology she should get plenty of speed from a 40-50 lb bow.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

40-50 is more than enough weight to take anything, well except some dangerous game, around. Possibly a moose is on the outside edge.

She has to be comfortable with the weight and fit, MAKE SURE IT FITS, my wifes first bow was way to long in the belief she needed more speed. She never shot it well. Get the right draw length and a draw weight she can handle with comfort. Most woman from what I have seen shoot in the 40-50 lb range, over 50 might be pushing it. With todays bows and technology she should get plenty of speed from a 40-50 lb bow.
50# minimum for moose, goats, buffalo, and brown bear up here (not that you need it, but that's the law) but that's beside the point...

LET HER PICK HER OWN BOW! I can't emphasize how important that is (hence the caps!) She needs to be vested in her own decision and not have what somebody else wants forced on her. She needs to go shopping and pick the one that fits and feels best to her.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher
LET HER PICK HER OWN BOW! I can't emphasize how important that is (hence the caps!) She needs to be vested in her own decision and not have what somebody else wants forced on her. She needs to go shopping and pick the one that fits and feels best to her.
Uhhh.....yeah, that's my plan. But I prefer going to shop with some kind of idea about what to look for. That's a lot better, IMO, than having some guy start throwing the most expensive pieces they have at me. But thanks for yelling out the obvious anyway.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:35 PM

I shoot the Bowtech Equalizer - Superb!!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:46 PM

My wife shoots a Hoyt Rentec. Awsome little bow. Fast, Quite, Little to no hand shock.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 PM

my wife is brand new to archery and picked a diamond cutter plus.

she shot a few bows, but cost was also a factor since she didnt want to spend 1k and then lose interest. it's at pretty cool little bow though. 40-50# and 18"-28" draw length. $350 for the package isnt too much to spend to see if she likes it. in a few years if she's still into it then perhaps we'll look into something higher end.

Quick Reply: Women's bows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.