Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Any ruger guy's out there???? >

Any ruger guy's out there????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Any ruger guy's out there????

Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any ruger guy's out there????

Gentleman, I just purchesed a Ruger M77VT and am looking to see what you guys that have the VT think about them, such as factory load suggestions, accuracy, trigger and over-all thought of the rifle. I know there are a lot of guys on this site that don't prefer Ruger but for those of you that do and have the VT, I welcome your experiences. I have several older M77's MII'sand they are excellent rifles but this is my first NEW one in several years just wondering what those of you that have them thought about them. Thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any ruger guy's out there????

I have no experience with the VT, but I bought my son a 7mm-08 77 Hawkeye last year and worked up a good hunting load for it before this past deer season and I was pleasantly surprised with how it shot and functioned. The new trigger is a slight improvement over the old one. Fit and finish is quite good. I'd certainly recommend a Ruger 77.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you need any more?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger M77MKII Target/vt .220swift

Old 03-26-2008, 05:02 PM

Oil,

Not sure what caliber you bought, but I picked up a used 22-250 in excellent condition and it is a very accurate rifle.I topped it with a Leupold 6-18 VXII with fine crosshairs and am quite pleased with the scope. It likes every load that I've put through it from cheap remington 40 grain factory loads to my own handloads. I'm usually running about 0.6" groups at 100 yds and often turn out sub 1" groups at 200 yds. The double stage trigger took some getting used to and I've touched off a few rounds a little earlier than I planned. So far I've only shot it off the bench, so I don't have any field experience. Rugers fit me the best of any gun I've tried so far. I've got a couple 10/22's, a VT, a MarkII .270 and a 77/22mag. I really enjoy them all. I'm sure you got yourself a great shooter, and as long as you don't need to carry it too far you will be pleased. I only wished I had bought another one in .243 instead of my remington model 7.

KEJ
Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chazy,
I too have quite a few but none are new they are the older ones and I love them. Thanks for the reply, that's what I was looking for, info from the guys that have these VT's. Oh yeah I bought the 25-06, always wanted that caliber, just about the only one I don't have....Anybody else got one let me know what you think of it.....Thanks
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a used one inlike NIBcondition chambered in 308 Win.I've had it a few years and have never fired it.The original owner did a first class trigger job on it.Unfortunately his wife threw the box away.I have a old Ruger M-77V in 25-06. It's NIB unfired.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a Ruger fan through and through, but I'm not a fan of the VT. To heavy for my style of hunting. Nice laminated stocks and gray stanless and triggers are pretty good, not my refined trigger jobs are better, but not bad. But the main reason I don't like them is the bulky stocks and they are heavy!
My 2 cents?
rugermike
Old 03-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Mike for the feed back, I know they are heavy and took that into consideration for the purpose of the gun. I won't have any issues with the weight, I was wondering about the double set trigger (or what ever that style is called). Where are you located? I would love to get you to do a couple trigger jobs for me on a couple other mII's....