Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .45acp powerful enough for field duty in southeast? >

.45acp powerful enough for field duty in southeast?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.45acp powerful enough for field duty in southeast?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .45acp powerful enough for field duty in southeast?

Take a look at the 10mm Auto. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Destructo

yeah, I do plan on carrying it in the mountains when hunting deer/turkey, so maybe .357 mag is the best option, and I can load it with .38 +p or lighter .357 mags for home defense. It will mainly just do nightstand duty, won't be trying to carry a 6" revolver concealed lol.

Being a fellow Virginian myself, I'd personally shoot the bear with whatever I was hunting deer/turkey's with. Granted #6 hevi-shot ain't exactly my load of choice on a bear, but at 6 feet I suspect it would get the job done. I've shot pigs at close range with my turkey gun, it does the trick, even with turkey loads. If you are in the mountains, I suspect you'll be deer hunting with a rifle. And that will trump any pistol. If you are shotgun hunting... buckshot or slugs.. you are still better off. For home defense, I'd prefer a short pump shotgun.

I'll bet you can tell I'm a rotten pistol shot can't you?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: handloader1

Take a look at the 10mm Auto. Good luck.
+1.If you want a wheel gun think about the .41 mag.If I had to deal with a Va. Black bear I want something with a little more thump.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Typical Buck

Don't count out the .45 Colt also. Either a 4inch Smith Mountain Gun or a Ruger Blackhawk. Can be loaded mild or wild and would be more than enough for a black bear.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:37 AM
Typical Buck

http://stevespages.com/page8f45acp.html

I thnik my 1911 SA will stop a bear with the right bullet
Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: Destructo

I'm going to be either purchasing a 1911 or a ruger gp100 for field duty and personal defense. I was going to get a 6" .357 mag but after thinking about, the worst thing we have in the field here would likely be a black bear, and a virginian black bear at that, only one i'v seen in person was not that big really. So I figure maybe a .45 loaded with ball ammo would be capable of penetrating the skull, or some federal 230gr hydrashoks or something should have enough punch. I think the 1911 would be better as a home defense weapon, not as loud and not as much muzzle flash. Keeping magazines loaded is no issue, I will have approx 4 mags and rotate them.
Along this line, once when stationed in Alaska, I had an opportunity to shoot at an assorted bunch of black bear heads that were in a hunting camp after the capes had been removed by the skinners. I found that the .357, the .45ACP w/GI 230-grain ball ammo, and the .44 Maggie (no doubt!!) would ALL put a bullet completely through a bear skull from the top, and into the earth underneath for a good 4"-6". Of course the .44 went the deepest. However, in the .45 ACP, I would stick to the BALL (non-expanding) LOAD, and shoot to hit the tip of the nose so the bullet would go up the nasal passage. If it is placeda bit too high, it COULD glance over the forehead. Properplacement is critical to killing any bear with a handgun, but with a hit in the right place, the .45 ACP 230-grain hardball round is as good as any pistol bullet.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking, 230gr ball ammo will penetrate quite far obviously and its of a sizable caliber and if put into the brain I think we be just as effective as any other round.

Obivously I will be carrying a 12ga when turkey hunting and a .270win while deer hunting, so that would be my preferred weapon, but sometimes there may not be enough time for my to get a rifle thats behind my back into action quick enough.

I certainly don't really expect to have to use a hand-gun in the woods. From experience I know these bears don't exactly make a lot of noise moving through the woods sometimes, and it may be almost pitch black in the morning or evening so I won't know hes there until its too late.

I don't think they'll come looking for me, but I worry about spooking one up.

If I get a 1911 its going to be a springfield mil-spec model, or if I get a .357 it will be a ruger gp100. Eventually I want both but can only afford one right now, so unfortunately i'm force to decide lol.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't rule out other manufacturers... I've been very happy with my Para-Ordnance P14's. 17 rounds of .45 ACP is better than 9, especially if there's a hungry bear after you...
Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Tuco

Don't count out the .45 Colt also. Either a 4inch Smith Mountain Gun or a Ruger Blackhawk. Can be loaded mild or wild and would be more than enough for a black bear.
A friend of mine is a county cop in a very rural area, and that's what he uses. the reason being that he occasionally has to euthanize bears after they get hit by cars. he says he's never had a problem with the 45, but then again, its not like he's being charged by the bear when he shoots it either.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the idea of a mid-barreled length(3"-5.5") .41 magnum for TRUE allround use. I'm a HUGE fan of the .41 mag,so much so that you'll find 3 .41s in my collection. Ruger redhawk,S&W 657,and a ruger blackhawk. They are not only GREAT for self defense,they're also great for hunting and allround field use with power to spare. I carry my customized redhawk (my own work) in .41mag like most people carry a .357. Most people don't realize that a hot loaded .41mag will not only do everything a .44mag will,it'll also shoot flatter and have just as much energy AND penetrate deeper with a hardcast bullet due to more speed/energy + less frontal area-.410 vs .429.