Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Interesting thought >

Interesting thought

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Interesting thought

Old 03-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Interesting thought

I am contemplating on buying a Taurus Judge revolver. I know you can shoot both 45 Colt and 410 ammo out of it. But then I got to thinking (Beginner's luck) - Can you shoot 45 Colt ammo out of a single action .410 shotgun like the H&R? I know accuracy would probably not be too good.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Interesting thought

Good question...I got to thinking about possible problems if a full choke was in the 410, but then remembered shooting 12 ga. rifled slugs yhru a single-shot full choked barrel years ago. I've got an old 410 single out in the garage for pest control around here....also have 45LC ammo..... Hey Bronko..What do you think? Want to come over and give it a try?......Someone should stand by with a cellphone, maybe?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

There have been .410 shotguns with utilized a ifled choke for such applications. I know T/C did such a thing with thier Contenders. Not sure if H&R or NEF ever did the same.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

I have fired 44 mag ammo through a smooth bore 410. i dont remember the choke though. my dumber days
Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

This is and interesting read on the Taurus Judge.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Bob
Old 03-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

That fellow knows not of what he speaks. He stated in the article that the OO buck flattened out in the barrel. That's crap. If it did that it would have lodged in the barrel and blown that gun to $h!t. The reason the lead flattened out was due to the hydrostatic pressure of the water trapped in the jugs. Water will flatten out any bullet. I have seen a demonstartion where a 38 was shot in to an open bucket of water and the bullet flattened out and never penetrated the bottom of the bucket. If he is sure that the 410 slug or buckshot is not a manstopper, lets see him let someone shoot him in the Buttocks with it. that will bring him around real quick.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey wildman - maybe we should post this to the guys at G&A for their torture test.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Hey wildman - maybe we should post this to the guys at G&A for their torture test.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Taurus The Judge and was not real happy with it once I had a chance to shoot enough through it. The 410 was useless on birds, I shot at a flock of Quail not more than 10 yards away and not a one of them where phased by it, even after 3 shots of #4. The 45LC through it was very inaccurate as well, even with different handloads. About an 8-10 inch group at 25 yards. Mine was with the longer barrel as well, cannot remember exact length, but it was at least 6 inches. I was hoping that the gun would work out as a good short range bear, deer, grouse gun when getting firewood during those seasons. But after spending some considerable time with the gun I found out that it has many good features, but it just isnt really any good at any of them. [&:] Luckily they gave me nearly what I paid for the gun on trade in towards the 308 Savage 99 that I picked up a couple of months ago.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have a single shot pistol for 45colts and 2.5 .410 it has a way full screw on straight fluted choke and a over sized "thread protecter" . Its a round bbl inside but with little bitty grooves huge lands . It shoots a 2 ft. circle at 15 ft with the thread protecter and every bit of full choke with the choke wanted to put a 45 through the choke but just couldnt do it . At any rate it threw bullets all over till I shot some slow "cowboy" loads then it shot ok 4-5 in at 25 yrds

Quick Reply: Interesting thought

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.