Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mini 30 Problems >

Mini 30 Problems

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mini 30 Problems

Old 02-29-2008, 07:23 PM

Default Mini 30 Problems

Ok guys I have a couple of problems with my wifes mini 30.

(1) I bought a muzzle brake for it because it kicks too much. It doesn't fit... It has the winged front sight. It is the right muzzle brake but it wont go on.

(2) I also bought a barrel shroud for it and I cant get the front sight off. Does anyone know how to get the front sight off. I allready punched the pin out and cant get it.

I would greatly appreciate any help thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 PM

Default RE: Mini 30 Problems

I suspect the front sight mount is silver soldered to the barrel. Most such things are and it takes a torch to get them off.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen lots of accessories for the Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30, but none which in my own experience would be terribly effective as a "muzzle brake" (i.e. "ported"), though many likely would function as a "flash suppressor" (not the same thing as a brake). I'm assuming that the shroud is more "cosmetic" than functional, unless you're in a situation where you must carry the weapon by the barrel after firing.

As far as the recoil itself goes, the 7.62x39 isn't known as a shoulder-smasher, but the stock Ruger puts on these certainly contributes to amplifying what recoil there is. I'm very used to the.223, but never knew it "kicked" until I borrowed a Mini-14. Rather than (or in addition to) sticking something on the end of the barrel, you might check some of the aftermarket stocks (Hogue, etc.), especially those which would also accept an additionalrecoil pad.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Spike

Instead of the muzzle break for recoil, try a stock that has butt pad like the Houge overmold stock. I replaced my plastic barrel shroud with an Ultimak scout rail so I could mount an Eotech on my Mini-14.