Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Taurus Titanium .41 mag 4" barrel >

Taurus Titanium .41 mag 4" barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Taurus Titanium .41 mag 4" barrel

Old 02-11-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Taurus Titanium .41 mag 4" barrel

Thinking about getting one of these for a trail gun.
Does anybody out there have any experience with one of these?
Old 02-14-2003, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Taurus Titanium .41 mag 4" barrel

They are nice guns, I have thought about buying one myself. I shot a friends and it is nice. MAke sure you get the ported, cuz the titanium can kick like a mule
Old 02-14-2003, 09:57 AM

Don' t get the titanium. It will beat you to death even with porting. The ported barrel will help some but it is still going to kick like a mule. The porting will make it kick like a VERY LOUD mule. Get the steel one and leave the porting to the deaf. JMO
Old 02-15-2003, 12:29 AM
Fork Horn

I have the tracker ti in 41 mag and really like it. I use it for backup while bow hunting and when flyfishing for bear protection. I have two loads worked up for mine, one load is with a 250gr cast bullet from cast performance at 1250fps to duplicate the federal cast core load and the other is a 210gr XTP at 1225fps. The two loads will print right on top of one another at 25 and 50 yards. I use the 210gr load for 90% of my target practice and plinking and use the heavy load just enough to be sure of it. Recoil with the lighter load is stiff but very manageable. I can shoot it 30-40 times with no discomfort. The heavier load is a little more aggressive but still can be shot 10 times or so before it starts to hurt. The only really funny thing I found with the Ti tracker was that each shot you noticed a signifigant rise in the amount of recoil as the gun weighs less each time you pull the trigger. The 5 250gr loads almost double the wieght of the gun. For a carry gun I can' t think of anything better. Its so light and easy to pack that you completely forget that its there, power level with the 250gr loads in right up there with the 44mag, and shooting with the lighter loads are mild enough to allow you to get very comfortable with the gun. The only bitch I had about mine when I first got it was the tolerances were a little too tight. When shooting cast bullets occasionally I would get a little lead sheared off under the star extractor and it would cause the cylinder to lock up. After 250+ rounds it has smoothed out nicely and with a little trigger work is a really good shooter. I wouldn' t think twice about recomending anyone else in getting one.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .41 Mag is a serious hunting round and at least in my opinion it' s a tad much for a 4" barrel. It needs to be in a six inch barrel minimum and the 4" barrel reserved as a defense round. I' d also concurr that the .41 mag should be in a fairly heavy gun so your wrists aren' t dislocated in a single box of ammo.

If you want a defense round I' d recommend a .44 special in a 4" barrel....or even a .45 LC.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

There are a lot of people that I hear are very afraid of the Tracker Ti, 85% of them aren' t nearly so afraid after they have shot one. The 41 mag delivers a lot of power even out of that 4" barrel. I' m still sold on mine as the best pick I could have made for a defence gun. S&W also makes a really nice stainless 3" 44 mag called the alaska backpacker but there again its no where near enough barrel to utilize the potential of the 44 mag cartridge. Believe me that little 41 won' t break your wrist.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the responses.
Seems that most of the folks who have shot this revolver say it is not too bad.
People who have not actually shot the revolver say it will tear your arm off.

Josh, appreciate you input. Right on target, I don' t expect to be shooting 100' s of rounds through it. Would be used for a trail gun and enough shooting to stay familiar with and used to shooting it.
Trick is I need a gun that will be light enough that I don' t mind carrying it, yet still
provide enough oomph to be worth carrying.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:49 PM

well i hear that at the Shot show S&W released a scandium 44mag, 3 or 4" barrels as a remember, n frame. sounds like a beast to me but what do i know
Old 03-01-2003, 02:37 AM
Fork Horn

Hunting-pictures website is back up and running now so I can post a picture of my 41 mag and some targets I have shot with it. It will show you the shootability of the pistol.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice group.