Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

henry

Old 02-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default henry

anyone have a henry 22 lever gun??

been using my buddies olllllld original winchest 9422 for coon hunting when i take his dog hunting...GREAT coon hunting rifle IMO...can man my own light, make the shot and get a reload in without taking the scope or light off the coon...

last night i couldnt get a head shot...shoulda tied the dog back but i didnt...was too thick and nasty around the tree..took a lung shot then got the 2nd shot into the head before it fell...realized why it is a great coonhunting rifle..

so if i get my own hound, id really like one...dont need the full sized 9422 and dont wanna beat up an original winchester coon hunting...just would take too much of a beating...

so i found a henry carbine with a 16" barrel...would be perfect IMO...just wanting to know if they shoot well and if theres any problems(jams or anything weird) associated with them...
Old 02-17-2008, 07:13 PM

Default RE: henry

I've fired several of the Henrys. All of them functioned fine and were accurate enough forwhat it sounds like you have in mind.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: henry

thanx jtb...one of the few weapons i have no expirience with at all...just wanted to make sure they werent junk guns before i bought one....

definently think it'll make the PERFECT coon hunting rifle...wish they took a clip instead of the tubular mags...not hard to load or unload...just easier to throw a loaded clip in, drop the coon and take the clip out and not worry about a loaded rifle..usually leave the fired shell in the chamber so i dont have to keep loading the tube mag in the dark, or if i have a live one in and the coon falls dead, i will unload...just dont like carrying a loaded lever gun...exspecially going through brush and taking all the falls i seem to take coon hunting...and its always slung on my back...no need to carry one loaded for coon hunting with a hound...i can make the magazine sacrafice for a small, light rifle that i can get a fresh shell in without moving the gun or light off the coon....usually 1 shot kills, but like last night, i had to take a body shot...that follow up saved the dog from getting tore up..and if i tied him back, it coulda made it to a hole(had that happen last week...waste of a good animal...had the dog tied back, dropped the coon but pulled the shot and hit the shoulder into the body..hit the ground running...hit it again but it rolled into a hole right after..me and the dog were bummed out!)