Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Your best deal buying a gun... >

Your best deal buying a gun...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Your best deal buying a gun...

Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your best deal buying a gun...

I bought a Browning B-80 from my brother for $200 back in the mid 80s....Had a vent rib 2 3/4 barrel and a vent rib 28 inch 2 3/4 and 3 inch mag barrel, both with screw in chokes...It throws turkey loads and buckshot very well, so I can use it from doves to deer...Best semi I have ever owned...

I also bought a .45 caliber flintlock made by Bob Watts back in the 70s when I lived in Atlanta...I gave $475 for it...Bob Watts was written up in Foxfire 5 and is now deceased...I used this gun to shoot in competition back in the 80s and have been offered $2,500 for it...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

3 years ago, I got a new Remington 700 ADL .243 for $249, with a free two gun hardcase that normally sells for $49 thrown in...
Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once upon a time, I was stationed at Fort Wainwright, Alaska. One day I was reading the Daily Bulletin, which in addition to all the "official BS" in it, had a :for sale" section too. That day, a guy had listed a "Model 70 Winchester" rifle for sale. I called him on the phonee (a Captain) and he told me it was a .375 H&H Magnum that he had gotten in trade for a Model 12 Winchester shotgun at a roadhouse in Canada driving up the ALCAN Highway. Said he'd fired it a couple of times, and decided he liked his .243 Win. better! He asid he wanted $125.00 for it, as he had about $125.00in the shotgun he'd traded. I said "I'll take it" sight unseen because of the caliber. Went to pick it up, and LO & BEHOLD! A Win. M70 in .375, pristine, almost new condition! And a Super Grade to boot! Gun was made in 1949, and had a Lyman Alaskan scope on it in a Paul Jaeger QD sidemount. Also had a Lyman 48 receiver sight base oin it, and he had the slide. Proved to be a very accurate rifle as wll, and at 11.75 pounds loaded, with scope & sling, it had no really noticeable recoil.

Pretty good deal for $125.00! I later sold the rifle for $1250.00. Should have kept it! Haven't had as nice a .375 H&H since.....
Old 02-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a call from a buddy that had a friend that had retired and moved out of town. This guy thought about becoming a trapper but after one winter he had enough so he was selling off his stuff. He had a 30-30 Marlin with a 4x Weaver scope that he wanted $200 for. Since my buddy had a 30-30 Marlin already he gave me the call. I said yes in a second and when I hung up the phone, (my hand wasn't off the receiver) and the phone rang again. It was a friend of a friend whom wanted some firewood asap. He offered me $200 for 1/2 a cord of seasoned oak if I could get him it in a couple of hours. Since I had about 4 cords cut and split, I loaded up 1/2 in the truck, dropped it of, picked up my $200, went and gave the first buddy the $200 and picked up my new gun. The guy then threw in a Lakefield .22 (bolt action-10 shot clip and in excellent condition) and what was left of the first box of ammo he had bought for the 30-30 (14 rounds). The entire deal took about an hour and a half. All the oak cost me was the sweat to cut and split it and so the entire deal cost the $3 in gas to make the deal happen. It's funny howsometimes things just work out.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

i probably shouldnt admit to this, probably gonna burn in hell, i paid $45 for an almost new ruger 10/22. one of my brothers friends had it and decided that since he was moving to town he didnt need to have a gun any more. he told me he would take $40 or $50 for it, i told him that i would just split the difference. he was happy and i still love that little shooter.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Dad bought two guns (a remington 720 30-06 and a remington 1100 12 gauge semi-auto) for $250 bucks for the two of them together.

I got an M1 Garand for an undisclosed amount (since Badger Boy may be watching) but it was definetly a good price. A lot lower than the ones I've seen on gunbroker or anywhere else on the internet.

We bought a Mossburg Maverick 88 with an 8 round tube for $160 bucks at a gun show. Beautiful gun, and one of my favorite out of all of our shotguns.

A friend of ours bought a Sears 12 gauge sawed off for $75 bucks at another gun show. Clean, beautiful, and shoots like a dream.

I got a Mausercustomaction .270 for $120 dollars at another gun show, clean and beautiful. Painted her white with brown sticks running through her for my winter gun.

I'm addicted to gun shows. Can't help it.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 PM

HK USP compact 9mm for $300.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

4 years ago I picked up a model 14 rem 32 remand a rem 760 30-06' for 400 the model 14 has that as a market value .
3 years ago I picked up a 03'-a3 125 , bbl'd actions were going for twice that at the moment.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

When I retired from the Navy and moved into the house I had finally been able to buy, I was putting stuff away in the shop, reached up on a high shelf and and wrapped in some newspaper was a nice little Ruger Mk-I pistol. I cleaned it up and love it.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Fork Horn

I am very fortunate when it comes to buying new guns, my 1st cousin is ffl licensed and will get whatever I want at his price. A lot of guys would faint if they really knew what the true markup is on retail prices. Especially on scopes. Back in the 80's when I was in high school I once bought an old winchester lever action .22 ( the cheap made one ) I can't remember the model number, for $25.00. I still have it, the ejector needs fixing.

Quick Reply: Your best deal buying a gun...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.