Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 TC Contender >

TC Contender

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

TC Contender

Old 02-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default TC Contender

I want everyone's honest opinion,I have read some of the negatives about the TC's,I've been thinking about buying a older contender in 223 or some other small caliber to predator hunt with.What are you'r experience's with these guns and do they have the bad rep. that people are giving some other TC gun's.Thank's, honesty is what I need to help my decision.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:31 AM

Default RE: TC Contender

I have several bbl's for my contender including a 223 in 16" to use for coyote but have not used it yet.The bbl I use the most is a 14" 30-30 for IHMSA silhouette matches.If your not familiar when IHMSA or NRA silhouettes,they are basically long range target shooting from 50 meters to 200 meterand you have to have the accuracy and power to knock down at least 40 targets made of steel withthe 200 meter ram target weighing about 50-60 pounds.The contender is strong and in my opinion and other who have won many international,national,and state championships,they can be very accurate.I think the potential for better accuracy may come from being able to reload your own ammo to work best with your gun including cast bullets.I do have a scope on many of my bbl's due to, it's getting hard for me to see the iron sights with my aging eyes.I do plan on using my T/C 30/30 for deer hunting this year.I do more bow hunting than gun hunting for deer.The T/C contender is a very good all around gunboth in accuracy and power and with anything else there are better and worse out in the world.I think you will be happy with the T/C
Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 AM

Is it the handgun or rifle?
All TC frames can be used for either. Only difference is the grip/stock, and forend. Same frame.
That's the beauty of TC! You can have many different guns by exchanging parts. Only thing is, if you never plan on using larger more powerful cartriges, then the Contender is right. Othewrwise, you may consider getting the Encore frame/gun.
I have a Contender handgunwith the 10" 410/.45LC barrel which gives me all the benefits of the 410 (bird, snake, rabbit, self defence) as well as the powerful .45 colt (plinkin', self protection, etc). I also havea 14" barrel in 30-30 with a Nikon scope I use for close in big game. Or whenever I want to wrench my wrist! Man what a wollop. But very easy to handle actually. The added weight of the 14" barrel and scope really cuts down on recoil. I've shot .44 mags that would do worse.
So, IMHO, get the TC and then shop for some other barrels, grips, stocks, etc and suddenly you've got your own arsenal.
I think they are made with very good materials and craftmanship. I suspect that if there were NO differencesother thanthe name stamped on them (Smith & Wesson or Glock), you'd be paying a lot more for them.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Spike

For the amount of money that you would be spending on the T/C you can not go wrong, I have 4 frames 2 Contenders and 2 Encores and with these I have a good number of barrles, some Muzzleloader and some center fire pistol and rifles. I enjoy shooting the T/C's so much I am going to dump my Rem.700 BDL that I never shoot any more. Do your self a fovor and buy the T/C and enjoy it.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned Contenders since the early 70s in just about every configuration they can be had in. Handguns, rifles big and small. Right now most of mine are setup as carbine length varmint rifles. I have some high end custom barrels and some factory barrels, all of which shoot very well.

All breakaction guns require slightly different methods for handloading and gun set up....its inherent to the design. The more you know about them the better they will do what you want.

Among others I have -
MGM .204 Ruger SS 23" full bull
VVCG 6mm 30-30 AI 23" full bull
Bullberry .221 FB 16 1/2"

Factory barrels in
.357 Max
7-30 Waters
44 mag

this one is the .204 MGM ready for a day of pds at 350-400 yds.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

thanks a lot guys,I had read a lot of negative stuff about TC not answering the phone and standing behind their product on this gun forum,but I have thought about buying one for years,and the other day at my local gun shop there was one with a 30-30barrel I think 12inch with scope base for about$350 and a nice looking gun,not scratched,and good blueing,and I can get the smaller caliber barrels from midsouth shooters supply.I'm glad some of you like these,it was a TC or Magnum Research and I dont know anything about them,I think I'll get the TC.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 AM

I have never needed to send my T/C back for anything,but from what I have read in the IHMSA new letter that I get,people have not had a big problem getting work done or getting service fromT/C. But sometimes people may expect more than normal.That's not to say thatbad service or not returning phone calls from T/C or anyone else is normal.