Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rate Of Twist? >

Rate Of Twist?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rate Of Twist?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rate Of Twist?

I just got a Remington 870 Super Slug With Scope. Does anyone happen to know for sure what the rate of twist is, or how I could find out? I couldn't find it in the paperwork and I couldn't find it on their web site. I recieved suggestions on what would shoot the best depending on the rate of twist. I would also like suggestions on what slug you would shoot for elk and bear size game.

Thanks Bryan

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20805_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat20805&nav Action=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&p arentType=index&parentId=cat20805&id=00057 60
Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM

Default RE: Rate Of Twist?

Your best bet is to try different slugs in your gun. What people say is not always right. Especally about what rounds to shoot in a gun for the best groups. I shoot Federal Barnes Expanders in my Mossberg 835.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are usually fairly slow, likely between 1:24" to 1:28" (which is what most modern inline muzzleloaders are).

Remington now has a bonded Accu-tip slug... and winchester offers an XP3 with a tungsten core.... if you shoot it with than and don't stop it than you won't stop it with much of anything less than the Great Wall of China.

Those Brennekke slugs and lightfields are bad to the bone as well.

If you want an ABERS (anti-bears.... get it!) round, then copper plated 00 buckshot is a good bet. Dixie slugs also make a Tri-Ball round, which is I think three .68cal lead balls that will all three shoot onto a 3x5 card at 20 yards.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Ive had a few bad experiences with Brennekke slugs. I will never use them again. I jsut shot up the rest of mine to get rid of them. I shot 5 different deer with them at ranges from 10 to 60 yards and none of the slugs enterd the deer. You would hear them hit but woudlnt penetrate the skin. I shot 5 of them at a 2x4 at about 50 yards. The slug would just leave a dent in the board and flatten out and fall on the ground. Every shot i went a picked up a still hot slug that did not go through the skinny part of a 2x4 at 50 yards. They group well but i would never hunt with them again.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

from memory alone, I think 870's 12 ga is 1 in 12", and 20ga is 1 in 20", quite certain, hope this helps!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Ive had a few bad experiences with Brennekke slugs. I will never use them again. I jsut shot up the rest of mine to get rid of them. I shot 5 different deer with them at ranges from 10 to 60 yards and none of the slugs enterd the deer. You would hear them hit but woudlnt penetrate the skin. I shot 5 of them at a 2x4 at about 50 yards. The slug would just leave a dent in the board and flatten out and fall on the ground. Every shot i went a picked up a still hot slug that did not go through the skinny part of a 2x4 at 50 yards. They group well but i would never hunt with them again.

No way. Those shells got wet or something. A steel BB will penetrate a 2x4 at 50 yards...
Old 02-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

CL,
I would tell you to follow the advice I gave you prior. That, I feel, would be be a good place to start.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

This is from Dave Henderson Outdoors website:

the Remington Accu-Tip is designed for the 1-35 rifling twist rate. That's the twist in Remington rifled barrels, and in the majority of other makes.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

No way. Those shells got wet or something. A steel BB will penetrate a 2x4 at 50 yards...
They may ahve just been a bad lot. I know i went to 3 different stores to buy slugs with teh same lot no. I ended up with 5 boxes of them. I keep all my ammo in ammo cans marked. I keep shotgun shells together, rimfire rounds together, small centerfirerounds together and larger centerfire rounds together. I never had a problem with amoo getting wet or giving me a problem like that before or since then. Thats just my personal experience with them. Im not trying to stop anyone from trying them. They had great groups!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Bryan,
I would suggest Federals and or Lightfields sabots . They will perform as good if not better than any other out there in a Remington barrel. I have some if you want or need them? This is from years of experience in a shotgun only state of Indiana, before I get slammed for trying to sell something, agian?

Quick Reply: Rate Of Twist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.