Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 CZ 416 Rigby Questions? >

CZ 416 Rigby Questions?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CZ 416 Rigby Questions?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CZ 416 Rigby Questions?

I bought a CZ 416 Rigby today. I don't get to pick it up for a while. I know I'm going to put a brake on it, but I don't know which one yet. I'm also going to put a mercury recoil reducer and a limbsaver pad on it. My question to you guys is, What type of scope and what would be your suggestions for which brand. I would prefer a scope that would let me use the iron sights at the same time if possible. Any other advice on this gun, at all, would be appreciated!

As Always Thanks For Your Advice!!

Bryan
Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CZ 416 Rigby Questions?

I went with with a Swarovski PH1.5x6x42 in quick detatch Warne rings on my 550 Safari in 416 Rigby. The gun has a decent pad on it and I dont plan on doing on doing anything to this rifle. The recoil, while brisk isnt that bad if you dont plan on shooting more than 20 off the bench,while standing off of sticks is easier on your shoulder. With that said I dont know if a see through mount or one that pivots is available for the CZ dovetail. I would certainly not want to get see through rings that are going to make you raise your head and possibly get a bad cheek weld with the Rigby cartridge. I dont plan on using the open sights but they are there is the scope fails.

Here's a picture of my set up.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks DoubleA! How did you set your zero on your rifle? What a nice looking setup! I can't wait to get mine. I'll be taking it to Alaska this year and to South Africa in the near future, I hope!

Thanks again for the info and the picture!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:16 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

CZ are great; however, like most production firearms they need some help and in the case of cartridges 375 H&H and up they must be crossbolted fore and aft of the magazine (like AA's)and the recoil lug glass bedded preferably steel bedded, also be sure theback of thetang is relieved a full 1/16" from the stock inletting.... route it out if it isn't, otherwise the stocks tend to split if it is resting tight or very close.

In the case of my two rifles I put in 3 external crossbolts, fore and aft of the magazine and one thru the wrist, two internal crossbolts.... one aft of the main recoil lug and one aft of the fore recoil lug, referred to as the "F Block." Don't overtighten the fore-recoil lug screw or it can interfer with your POI.

Ruger also has the same problem with stock splits, though to a lesser degree, with their 416 Rigby and 458 Lott chamberings. If yours comes from the factory cross bolted and bedded, then great; however, if not then do NOT fire a single round thru it until you have it done.

Welcome to "outside of the box."
I load my 416 Rigby with 325gr Barnes (out of production)at 2,900 fps yielding 6,000 pounds energy and shoots flatter than a 30-06.... it will do a number on elk. Using the Barnes #3 Manual you can take your Rigby up to near 416 Weatherby Magnum performance.

.... best part is it isn't a Magnum!

Scope? A Rigby with stout loads has a history of being a scope killer so I would go with Heavy Duty Lupy or Swaro and be sure you lap the rings at all costs.

Mounts, I use Tally QD's. Don't go for a hokey mounting system for this rifle, use loc-tite blue on base and ring screws.

Can you say "K-THUD!" in spades?
Enjoy.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:27 PM
bigcountry

Some people I know who love africa puts 1.5-5X20 on thier 458lotts. And thats alotts of recoil.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

On my 458 Lott, I put a Lupy III 1.5x5x20 with the Quick Release Tally Rings.
At 1.5 you can shoot with both eyes open, kinda different, but I could see where it could come in handy for fast moving close in work.
Doing it over, I would get same scope with the illuminated red dot at the cross hair intersection, maybe with a German #4 reticle.
================================================== =

With the 416 Rigby and the 458 Lottboth loaded to the hilt, I find the felt recoil to be the same.
Of course the Lott case fills up with powder quickly whereas the Rigby case just keeps going and going, even at full strength you can hear the powder move when you shake it.
================================================== =

The 416 Rigby is a grand old cartridge.... 4 more years it will be 100 years old.
When you hold 5 Rigby's in your hand, you know you have got a hold of something, 1/2 pound of gusto.
As I understand it, you can buy Rigby brass with the reinforced web just like the Lapua brass.
Load me up, Scotty.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

EKM, are the cross bolts that you are talking about the same as in the picture doublea posted? Could you post a pic? I'm not sure I understand the whole theory behind them. Is it only to strengthen the stock?

Bigcountry, what do you think the recoil will compare to with a qaulity muzzel brake, mercury recoil reducer and a limbsaver recoil pad. Is it still gonna be way to much?Or will it be managable? Is there anything else you can do to the gun to reduce the recoil even more? You know I love big guns, but I hate recoil![:@] I hated my 300 ultra mag until I put a muzzel brake on it, but now I love it!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:16 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

EKM, are the cross bolts that you are talking about the same as in the picture doublea posted? Could you post a pic? I'm not sure I understand the whole theory behind them. Is it only to strengthen the stock?
Exactly like AA's picture (only mine has one thru the wrist plus the internals, overkill perhaps, but strong as a bank vault). For a pic, go to accuratereloading_com, big bore section, and search "ELKampMaster, CZ, Stock" the pictures used to all be there along with the "how we did it."

Yes, a split stock is essentially the result of (1) the sides bulging out due to the recoil, usually at the weakest point, i.e. the magazine well (think about it); and/or (2) the tang which if the wood is not relieved,starts to resemble a wood spliting maul with the cartridge energy providing the "hammer." With that much recoil, things move.... not much.... but they move,it don't take much to have trouble if you don't have containment.

Accuratereloading_com has it's share of bigbore newbies (and pros) who tried to take the short cut ignoring advice to beef them up if they haven't been worked on at the factory and ended up with a split.... this ain't your daddy's 270.

A 416 Rigby owner thatcan't standa little frisky recoil?

Muzzlebrake should help, should still have a properly built rifle though.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

EKM, thanks for all the help! It's obvious you know excatly what your talking about, and thats whatI needed. If you don't care I might give you some PM'swhen I have more questions down the road on this project!I hopeI haven't bitten off more than I can chew!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Leupold ,Zeiss,Swarovski et al are all good 1.5 -5X range scope is a fine choice. I would check with the PH your planning on going withon a muzzle brake of any sort. Some do not allow a gun with a brake to be used.
IMHO ifa personneeds a muzzle brake they should be looking at a differnt round.

Quick Reply: CZ 416 Rigby Questions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.