HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CZ 416 Rigby Questions?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 08:16 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: CZ 416 Rigby Questions?

CZ are great; however, like most production firearms they need some help and in the case of cartridges 375 H&H and up they must be crossbolted fore and aft of the magazine (like AA's)and the recoil lug glass bedded preferably steel bedded, also be sure theback of thetang is relieved a full 1/16" from the stock inletting.... route it out if it isn't, otherwise the stocks tend to split if it is resting tight or very close.

In the case of my two rifles I put in 3 external crossbolts, fore and aft of the magazine and one thru the wrist, two internal crossbolts.... one aft of the main recoil lug and one aft of the fore recoil lug, referred to as the "F Block." Don't overtighten the fore-recoil lug screw or it can interfer with your POI.

Ruger also has the same problem with stock splits, though to a lesser degree, with their 416 Rigby and 458 Lott chamberings. If yours comes from the factory cross bolted and bedded, then great; however, if not then do NOT fire a single round thru it until you have it done.

Welcome to "outside of the box."
I load my 416 Rigby with 325gr Barnes (out of production)at 2,900 fps yielding 6,000 pounds energy and shoots flatter than a 30-06.... it will do a number on elk. Using the Barnes #3 Manual you can take your Rigby up to near 416 Weatherby Magnum performance.

.... best part is it isn't a Magnum!

Scope? A Rigby with stout loads has a history of being a scope killer so I would go with Heavy Duty Lupy or Swaro and be sure you lap the rings at all costs.

Mounts, I use Tally QD's. Don't go for a hokey mounting system for this rifle, use loc-tite blue on base and ring screws.

Can you say "K-THUD!" in spades?
Enjoy.